I’m getting a fish room!

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there won’t be any fish in it, so maybe I need to come up with another name.

Was cleaning out my basement to start finishing it and realized that I’ve accumulated a lot of nice stuff(useless junk). Spent two weeks getting rid of stuff and realized I have a lot more room than I thought. So I decided to expand my workshop. Then I realized I could use part of this as a sump/mix room.

So it begins...

8F9094FC-B997-4DCA-9A4A-4C16490E3069.jpeg

Last edited:

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats. Its really nice to have a fish room for water storage, frag tanks, filtration. How much water will you holding in your fish room?

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats. Its really nice to have a fish room for water storage, frag tanks, filtration. How much water will you holding in your fish room?
135gal display upstairs. Running 32 gallon tanks each for RODI and SW. Currently running an eshopps RS-300 sump(35gal) but will likely switch to a Trigger 39 when I make the move. I'm converting from FOWLR to Reef after all the modifications are complete, so I'm sure there will be a frag tank in the near future.

The room is going to be 8'x12'. It will be finished and insulated, but not in a climate controlled part of the basement, so I will likely install some sort of ventilation/dehumidification system.

YeetReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang dude, Turn this thing into a beastly fish room. Im only 16 but in the future I for sure will have one.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s awesome! Any plans for colony tanks or frag tanks?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is currently FOWLR. Only been in the hobby for about 1.5 years. Leaving adequate space to grow as I learn and expand into reefing.

Do you have an interest in adding additional display tanks, breeding fish, or aquaculturing corals?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with a 'fish closet'... :)

No place to put a fish room, but I'm done working on my hands and knees under a tank. The closet is a bit tight, but it holds what it needs to, and I can CLOSE THE DOOR when I don't want people looking at it.

I know, the electrical looks like a mess, but it's really not. Everything in it's place, easy access, I'm quite happy with it :)

SumpCloset1219.jpg

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there won’t be any fish in it, so maybe I need to come up with another name.

Was cleaning out my basement to start finishing it and realized that I’ve accumulated a lot of nice stuff(useless junk). Spent two weeks getting rid of stuff and realized I have a lot more room than I thought. So I decided to expand my workshop. Then I realized I could use part of this as a sump/mix room.

So it begins...

Look at all that room for activities

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No. I would like a larger display, but the space/layout of my house doesn't really allow for it.

I understand that you may not have room upstairs, but it seems like you may have room for additional tanks in the basement fish room If you choose. Either way, that is a neat added fish space!

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that you may not have room upstairs, but it seems like you may have room for additional tanks in the basement fish room If you choose. Either way, that is a neat added fish space!
I'll see how it evolves. I anticipate it being more utilitarian than a space that I enjoy hanging out in.

I did build it about double the size that I feel like I need for what I'm doing right now. So, you know, If you give a mouse a cookie...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll see how it evolves. I anticipate it being more utilitarian than a space that I enjoy hanging out in.

I did build it about double the size that I feel like I need for what I'm doing right now. So, you know, If you give a mouse a cookie...

Sounds like a plan! BTW, that is my second favorite children’s book.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One other thought - consider adding double electrical as well while you have the walls open.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the dry lock on the poured walls and got it all framed up today. Had to move the front wall back just a tad, so interior dimensions will end up being 11’9x6’3” after framing and drywall is accounted for.

C73F14F3-2864-4FBC-9009-A2779B3BBFB4.jpeg

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So it begins...

Working on our basement my self. Only between my son’s toys and the home theater I doubt I will have a fish room.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back