OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with a 'fish closet'... :)

No place to put a fish room, but I'm done working on my hands and knees under a tank. The closet is a bit tight, but it holds what it needs to, and I can CLOSE THE DOOR when I don't want people looking at it.

I know, the electrical looks like a mess, but it's really not. Everything in it's place, easy access, I'm quite happy with it :)

SumpCloset1219.jpg
Yep, anything is better than having all your utility in the middle of the living room.

A closet is just a small room. I think you can call that a fish room.

chowberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I always wanted a fish/aquarium room. Unfortunately how my house is configured I'm not even able to plumb the sump into the garage.

Are you able to run water/drain to this part of the house? If I had the opportunity, I would look into trying to be able to do majority of maintenance in the fish room. Have you looked into automatic water changers like the Genesis Renew?

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense to the awesome woman aquarists out there but I call my sump room in the basement “The Real Mancave”. I put the controller outside of the room itself to avoid and humidity damaging the controller. Behind the camera in the sump room is a bank of shelves and storage..

42BF8206-807A-4ED8-89AC-4740EF1EEB5D.jpeg 27B3393F-6C51-442C-866F-4AF72CCDC532.jpeg

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I always wanted a fish/aquarium room. Unfortunately how my house is configured I'm not even able to plumb the sump into the garage.

Are you able to run water/drain to this part of the house? If I had the opportunity, I would look into trying to be able to do majority of maintenance in the fish room. Have you looked into automatic water changers like the Genesis Renew?
Yes. I chose the spot because of its proximity to the DT above and the ability to plumb both water for the RODI and drain to the basement sewage sump pit. There’s about an 18” void behind a wall adjacent to this room that allows for easy access to all utilities.

4FEEA1BE-606A-4CED-BBF6-38530D02314F.jpeg
FF37E447-8AF5-4CAC-BD38-3BD6D461A271.jpeg
47A40A22-C27F-4508-A19E-F538975C056A.jpeg
42E19BF1-1AAC-4D83-B0FD-E106AD083675.jpeg

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the other end of that void is the utility closet that houses the water heater, basement sump pit and currently my RODI. It couldn't be easier to run the supply and waste lines. Once I do, I'll move the RODI to the fish room as well. Right now I'm just dragging my feet on the worst job in human history, drywall finishing. Almost done though. Gonna paint it really well with exterior pain and I'm considering putting down a rubber floor.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the opportunity, I would look into trying to be able to do majority of maintenance in the fish room. Have you looked into automatic water changers like the Genesis Renew?

I've had an Auto Aqua ATO/AWC system laying new in the box for about a year now. Once I decided to do the fishroom, I figured it didn't make sense to add anything else upstairs, so I've been waiting. I also ended up deciding on the Icecap 36XL sump instead of the Trigger. It has a passive flow refugium and a 12 or 14 gal ATO reservoir built in. I plan to T off the drain to feed the refugium so that I can control exactly how much flow I get through it. It's a larger, square footprint which wouldn't work in an under the display stand situation, but will be great for the basement room. I will definitely have top off and water changes automated. One way or another.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After tweaking the framing to square up with some other existing walls and hanging the wallboard, it ended up being 11'8"x6'11' interior dimensions.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the drywall done. Going to hang some lights, epoxy the floors and start putting in shelves. I should have equipment in and start plumbing by this weekend.

8E0F8DDD-A3E2-409E-AD47-72D2D4E9A31E.jpeg

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the drywall primed, door hung, baseboards down, all caulked up tight and completely painted with exterior paint, and 2 - 4ft led lights installed. All I have left to do is epoxy the floor and I can start installing this load of goodies that just arrived. The new sump is the last piece and it’s arriving tomorrow.

755B65DF-3675-486B-90E2-9821B626D7DB.jpeg

85C01F2B-C9D6-44EC-9CAC-3720D5A39CEA.jpeg

I’m not a very excitable kind of guy, but I’m stoked on this project.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Just curious, is there a particular reason that you did the epoxy last rather than doing the baseboard and door jamb after the epoxy?

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Just curious, is there a particular reason that you did the epoxy last rather than doing the baseboard and door jamb after the epoxy?
Maybe poor planning. Is that a good reason??

I Feel like I had a reason at the time, but now I don’t remember what it was...

I intended all along to caulk it water tight around the bottom, so I knew I was going to seal it and then paint the baseboards again regardless.

It’s all overkill anyway. It’s a freaking
Fish room that looks like an operating room.

Last edited:

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha overkill or not, I'm definitely jealous. Wish I was able to have a room like that.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was supposed to be plumbing day, but I had a flu or something hit me hard Saturday night. This was the best I could do. Got most everything organized and laid out so I can start plumbing when I feel better. My old mix station was side by side, now it’s going to be stacked, so I have to reconfigure all that too. I’ve got a lot of plumbing to do.

Must be that coronavirus...

8852275E-CC35-4554-A649-2FD028A84435.jpeg

82CF834A-F949-423B-9599-F37F2C403EB4.jpeg

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up being sick for 3-4 weeks. It was a rough one, then I got sucked into a bunch of other projects since the weather has been so nice. So I’m just now getting this thing plumbed up. Got my mix station up and running again. Hope to run the sump upstairs this weekend.

C79AA4CB-0630-4D38-BFEC-3CA56BEA1A3D.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope that you are feeling better. Lot of great work here! The floor, walls, water containers, and shelving all look really clean and neat - great job!

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that you are feeling better. Lot of great work here! The floor, walls, water containers, and shelving all look really clean and neat - great job!
Thanks. I’ve been taking my time trying to make sure that every aspect of it makes maintenance as efficient and painless as possible. I won’t ever have to carry a bucket or run a hose again barring any emergency. I can flip valves to mix water, top off, water change, etc. Best of all, I Don’t have to worry about getting the floor wet!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back