I’m new here

Welcome to R2R!

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg


The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!
 
My initial tank has been running 9 months now an it seems like my tank has really turned a corner. I never went through any crazy algae or anything like that. Things have gone daily smooth which I’m sure that is in part that I am OCD with the tank. I started it with dry Marco rocks and went from there. It seems like my corals are finally taking off. Things seemed to be stalled for a bit but in the last 2-3 months my acans have gone from 2 heads to 11, frogspawn and hammer have split into multiple heads and my Duncan’s have doubled in heads.

I hope in the new cylinder I can get the green hair algae under control and move from there. The previous owner had the tank up and running for 2 years.

I did pick up a 120 today and will soon start getting it ready for action. This is temporarily in my house until I can move it to my shop this weekend. My wife would kill me if I tried to leave it where it is.

C2AC6FAF-1A18-49EF-8347-B1E364B6E634.jpeg


036E2AF8-6476-4E46-AE1A-15E8C0FAD49A.jpeg


45B16E3E-342A-41B1-BB57-D528F27AA3EE.jpeg


87F011BE-B681-4A74-A530-D0380C36B514.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new