I’m new to predator fish and need help with my stock list for 150

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 150 5x2x2 and am hoping to keep a few predator fish. I’m looking for comments on my list so far

one spot foxface
Zebra eel
Fu Manchu lionfish
Naso tang
Sail fin tang
Christmas wrasse
Yellow long nose butterflyfish

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some extensive research on the fu manchu feeding challenges, they usually never do well long term attempting to feed a dead diet, and feeding live in that tank would be very difficult at best.

I would rethink the naso tang, they really need a larger tank, and dont do well long term in a smaller tank.

The zebra eel gets huge, while they do tuck themselves away most of the time, I personally would keep them in a larger tank. Be ready for major nutrient control; big skimmer, macro algae, carbon dosing, frequent water changes, etc.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, foxface and naso will get quite big, so you might have to rehome them when they get bigger. Fu manchu are hard to keep fed. Zebra eel should be ok with places to hide, I have one in a 120g and he is about 3 feet long. Sailfin, wrasse and butterfly should be good. If you can, best to add as many as you at once. With larger fish, territory issues can come up quick with new additions.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the replies what would be a better choice for a small lionfish

The fuzzy is the best choice for a community tank, and are the most successful to get eating dead food, the zebra is 2nd best. Feeding is still challenging and best to get eating well in an observation tank before entering into the dt. Please read some of my other post about keeping lions. Careful considerations must be met to keep a dwarf lion on dead food long term.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fuzzy is the best choice for a community tank, and are the most successful to get eating dead food, the zebra is 2nd best. Feeding is still challenging and best to get eating well in an observation tank before entering into the dt. Please read some of my other post about keeping lions. Careful considerations must be met to keep a dwarf lion on dead food long term.
Thank you I will look into the fuzzy
would i be able To have a group of sailfins or would they be too aggressive because I have been reading it can be pretty bad when multiple tangs of same kind are around
I will also look at some of ur other posts thank you

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels? I'd love to have a lemonpeel angelfish if I had a fish-only. In my opinion lionfish get boring, quickly. Whereas a nice trigger will entertain you for hours.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels? I'd love to have a lemonpeel angelfish if I had a fish-only. In my opinion lionfish get boring, quickly. Whereas a nice trigger will entertain you for hours.
I had looked at angels but I thought they would outgrow the tank
Would a coral beauty work?
Could a trigger go with a lionfish?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lions aren't boring, I have 7, fuzzies do tend to be some of the more active and personable ones.

A coral beauty would go great in that tank, a trigger would take a bit more consideration. Some will keep a bluejaw in a smaller tank because they usually aren't that aggressive, but they are the most boring trigger imaginable. A trigger in the Rhinecanthus genus(picasso, rectangulas, bursa) could be considered if started small, you can get them around 2" frequently, they grow very slowly. If kept with the right crew and not crowded, may live forever in a 150g. I've always kept triggers with my lions.

A group of sailfins is likely not a good idea, be aware that they do grow fast and get as tall as they are long, so that's really a big fish for a 150. A group of yellow or scopas tangs may be worth a think. You have to see a scopas in person to really appreciate them, pics don't do them justice, and they all have a different variation of coloring, I love mine.

I really like my one spot foxface and they don't tend to utilize a huge amount of real estate, i think would would work fine in a 150.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lions aren't boring, I have 7, fuzzies do tend to be some of the more active and personable ones.

A coral beauty would go great in that tank, a trigger would take a bit more consideration. Some will keep a bluejaw in a smaller tank because they usually aren't that aggressive, but they are the most boring trigger imaginable. A trigger in the Rhinecanthus genus(picasso, rectangulas, bursa) could be considered if started small, you can get them around 2" frequently, they grow very slowly. If kept with the right crew and not crowded, may live forever in a 150g. I've always kept triggers with my lions.

A group of sailfins is likely not a good idea, be aware that they do grow fast and get as tall as they are long, so that's really a big fish for a 150. A group of yellow or scopas tangs may be worth a think. You have to see a scopas in person to really appreciate them, pics don't do them justice, and they all have a different variation of coloring, I love mine.

I really like my one spot foxface and they don't tend to utilize a huge amount of real estate, i think would would work fine in a 150.
So would this be a better list

-zebra eel
-3scopas tangs
- coral beauty
-fuzzy lionfish
-one spot foxface
-maybe a blue jaw or bursa trigger

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would this be a better list

-zebra eel
-3scopas tangs
- coral beauty
-fuzzy lionfish
-one spot foxface
-maybe a blue jaw or bursa trigger

That's sounding good, maybe get some others to chime in, I would happy with that line up.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Keep away from smaller fish like a wrasse. Probably will get eaten.

I'm getting ready to put a Valentini Puffer in mine.

It's fun having a tank with fish you couldn't put in your reef tank.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a trigger they have so much personality and smart. My favorites which happen to be the 4 I have in my reef tank are a Clown, Sargassum, Assasi and Blueline trigger. There are other many types to choose from just don’t get a Queen or Undulated trigger.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put scopas tangs, I'd put them in all at the same time. They are a zebrasoma tang and can be aggressive towards other zebrasoma.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back