I’m stumped. My corals aren’t doing great.

gishandfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I buy a coral. It looks good for the first 24 hours and then it starts to retract somewhat permanently. My levels are all good amd have been since I first set this aquarium up. I bought it used from someone so it was already cycled. The parameters are:
8.0 ph
0 ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite
2ppm nitrate (been zero normally the last 2 months )
10dkh alkalinity
0ppm phosphate
410ppm calcium
1.0245 salinity.
I just 2 weeks ago started dosing with reef fusion 1 and 2 which brought the dhk from 8 to 10. The ph has always been on the low side from the beginning of my ownership. The water temp at night is 78 and the lights bring it to about 81 by 9pm. The lights kick on at noon and stay on til 9pm. I have the lights on a Christmas tree timer with no specialty light controller. The lights are some Amazon type Nicrew brand that has decent reviews but honestly at this point I’m thinking it’s the lights that are the problem. Since I’ve had the tank for the last 2 months a lot of brown hair algae has begun to form and latched on two moth of the corals. About a month ago I had to get a Uv water sterilizer because the water was getting cloudy . Why is this All happening ? And what do I need to do to get rid of the algae for good? And why are the corals struggling ?

Thank you !!

IMG_6174.jpeg IMG_6176.jpeg IMG_6173.jpeg IMG_6175.jpeg IMG_6177.jpeg IMG_6178.jpeg

OP
OP
G

gishandfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new. To this community so not sure how to edit but Also forgot to mention the last 2 weeks I’ve been dosing 3 times fuel coral food , I do water changes every 2 weeks. I measured the rodi water for tds I’ve been buying from my local fish store and it’s measured 8ppm. I’ll be receiving a 5 stage rodi in the mail this week.

Last edited:

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You have no nutrients, Nitrate and Phosphate need increasing for soft/lps corals.
This is correct. Without nitrates and phosphates, your coral are starving.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m new. To this community so not sure how to edit but Also forgot to mention the last 2 weeks I’ve been dosing 3 times fuel coral food , I do water changes every 2 weeks. I measured the rodi water for tds I’ve been buying from my local fish store and it’s measured 8ppm. I’ll be receiving a 5 stage rodi in the mail this week.
Alk is too high
Temp is too high, put a fan over the tank to keep temp stable.
TDS from Lfs is terrible. My faucet un filtered at home is 7. Your 5 stage will fix that and help the tank a lot.

Be patient. That is key. Slow changes over longer periods of time.

OP
OP
G

gishandfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no powerheads in the tank, no flow nor oxigination, corals need flow and oxygen. Would suggest to get a powerhead, two is better, and point one at the water surface to agitate it and help oxygenate the water.
I see no powerheads in the tank, no flow nor oxigination, corals need flow and oxygen. Would suggest to get a powerhead, two is better, and point one at the water surface to agitate it and help oxygenate the water.
on the right side there’s a hygeer wave maker . Also on the right side is a 1inch outlet from the sump that’s built into the back of the tank. This is a 55 gallon all in one .

OP
OP
G

gishandfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is too high
Temp is too high, put a fan over the tank to keep temp stable.
TDS from Lfs is terrible. My faucet un filtered at home is 7. Your 5 stage will fix that and help the tank a lot.

Be patient. That is key. Slow changes over longer periods of time.
What temp and alk do you prefer having for your reed setup ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk is fine. Its likley the 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. Start feeding more

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk needs to be stable. Pick where you want it to be. I recommend 8. 10 is fine for some people but it's imo on the high side.

As others mentioned, nitrate and phosphate at 0 is bad. Feed more or get more fish.

Usually light is NOT the problem unless you trying to grow colonies of acros. Nicrews are fine. Don't fall on the hype that you need a $500 light to grow corals.

Your temperature is fine. 81 is a little high but no need to sound the alarm.

Keep in mind your tank is only 2 months old. It just went through a lot of changes. Go slow. You probably are going to get hit with the ugly phase again.

Go slow and let the tank reestablish itself

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your tank you have just a few frags, you really don’t need to feed
Anything except your fish right now, and with those few corals a regular waterchange would handle the needs of dosing for now, I’d cut feeding back to just your fish, cut out the reef fusion, but keep testing your alk at least every few days to make sure it’s not dropping. For the algae I’d pull out a rock one at a time and scrub it clean in some old tank water, then do a nice water change after your Rocks are cleaned up. You can Use some hydrogen peroxide on the algae to kill it too. Best to remove as much as possible so it’s not dying off in the tank causing more algae to grow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back