I’m such an idiot lol

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
soooo I made a very simple sump.. 2 panes of glass (2 baffles) well I’m an idiot and made them the same size so guess what happens I need to cut one like an inch shorter.. my only dilemma they are already siliconed in.. can I cut the glass with it siliconed already if so how

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see cutting it in place.

However, why can't they be the same size?

The last baffle is where the water cascades over to the return pump.....which can be the same height as other baffles.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see cutting it in place.

However, why can't they be the same size?

The last baffle is where the water cascades over to the return pump.....which can be the same height as other baffles.
So it’s okay if it’s like this?

image.jpg

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not ideal but unless your getting bubbles pumped back in the tank I think it would be just fine.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and my horrible siliconing job actually benefits me cause it causes a little turbulence in the Refugium section lololol

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok the way it is. If you really wanted a difference in water level height you could add something to the top of that first baffle, like a small strip of acrylic. The only benefit you would get is surface skimming in the first section, but it looks like you have that now even with the baffle as is.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok the way it is. If you really wanted a difference in water level height you could add something to the top of that first baffle, like a small strip of acrylic. The only benefit you would get is surface skimming in the first section, but it looks like you have that now even with the baffle as is.
Pretty much! Lol thanks for all your input guys! And the quick responses I was kinda panicking lol

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine. Raised the first baffle in my sump up a little so water flows under it however I still cut it a little to short and a little water flows over the top of it. Does not make much difference to me. Only issue I see with your setup is with the water going over the top of both baffles you will get dead spot towards the mud but thats nothing a tiny little power head wont fix. Thats why I like to have water travel under the baffle into the refugium then up to the top of the next baffle and into the return chamber. It also turns the refugium into a giant bubble trap. And like you I only have 2 baffles dont really need much more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back