7EBB3E81-A8C6-4247-9976-DDFC62CDBA8E.jpeg
My wife has. Lol

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I’m convinced that all my tank has been missing over the years is bristleworms. The amount of detritus has always been kinda out of control. Why I couldn’t just get them for free on a frag like everyone else.... QT game too strong.

syrinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I go both ways with bristleworms. First off is my thumb has been twice normal size for last week after getting and amazing hit to the back of the knuckle. Used gorilla tape to pull spines immediately-but was a overwhelming number of spines. Pain is only moderate-but I have walked off a broken leg, and pulled a tooth before- so may be a little pain tolerant.

That being said-I had tennis elbow pretty bad a couple years ago-to the point I actually saw a doctor and he said it would take six months to heal. I got hit on the hand of that arm with a bristleworm, and by the next morning I was pain free-with no recurrence. I am a science guy- so I am not saying one begat the other-but it happened, so I share......

Gdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristles worms are the reason I now refuse to buy actual live rock. I previously had a tank infested with them and never again. Whenever I see a picture of a tank with them, I scroll away as fast as possible. I know they're useful but I hate them.
I'm with you that's why I started with dry rock this time. Got tired of them

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are the size of pencils. I've never seen them bothering anything.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree. They rock. Though when I moved tank I made the mistake of picking up some bigger ones by hand to drop in the sump and for all bristly. Also, my hawk fish likes to eat them so if one is on a filet sock or something I drop it in the tank for a treat.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came down to this gem this morning.
4DC35AC5-7018-4B3F-8F73-DE38382EDBD2.jpeg

I will be pulling and dipping the rock. That was the shelf my flasher wrasse sleeps on.

Last edited:

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
natural part of the ecosystem, I expect them to be there. They've never done me no wrong haha

I have lost two Diamond Goby’s, they just straight disappeared and now this Flasher Wrasse. I had a Diamond Goby jump recently too so I am assuming this worm spoked him.

I tried natural but this one will be gone.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. All I was saying was NOT you ought to, or ought not to have, bristleworms. I could give neg ___s what you want. It's your tank.

Instead, what I'm saying is each of these strategies obviously work. By strong empirical evidence.

Therefore, do or do not, they're both okay.

Why does it even matter to you?!
(Not you, AquaBiomics .. the Homer person).

If you have a problem with us slaughtering bristleworms, then I have a problem with you killing prions, toxic black mould, roaches. I think by your argument of "they have their place in nature", and as you argue that a tank is nature, I, therefore, argue that your house is a subset of the nature that surrounds it. Therefore, I'd invite you to put your money where your mouth is, and add a biodiversity pack by going to the dumpster at nite, scooping up a good amount of roaches, some centipedes, maybe some rice weevils and other pantry bugs; don't forget some termites too—who .. how was it that you put it? Yes, they have their place in nature. (What, you don't like weevils crawling in your rice? That's free protein ..... bro.)
eh half the time the rice is going into a dish and the cooked weevils wont be seen anyway. as for roaches, clean your house and it isn't an issue. I've had escapees from my roach tanks and they starve to death or dehydrate without my services (found later when sweeping)

the bristleworms are beautiful, just as much as fish, and they have a sort of personality that makes them easy to love when you give them a chance

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several Species that have neurotoxins most of them are commonly known as fire worms and are sometimes confused with the common bristle worms even though fire worms are bristle worms. Also there are other types of bristle worms called Bobit worms, Although their hairs won’t hurt you if they’re big enough they can take a finger.
got ant documented reports of loosing fingers to bobbit worms

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eh half the time the rice is going into a dish and the cooked weevils wont be seen anyway. as for roaches, clean your house and it isn't an issue. I've had escapees from my roach tanks and they starve to death or dehydrate without my services (found later when sweeping)

the bristleworms are beautiful, just as much as fish, and they have a sort of personality that makes them easy to love when you give them a chance

Well played. I gift you two words.

Poe's Law.

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get a rating for these stings on something along the lines of the Schmidt sting pain index?
From least painful to most painful:
1. Fang blenny bite - the venom is opioid based (literally heroin), barely feel anything except for a tingling sensation
2. Anemone - pain kind of like a bee sting, leaves residual tentacles stuck onto you.
3. Foxface - a strong, pusling pain, worse than a bee sting
4. Lionfish - feels like a foxface sting, but slightly worse
5. Bristleworm - the initial pain from this sting is not that bad, however the long - term irritation as well as the harp bristles stuck in your skin earn this sting the top spot on my list

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back