I absolutely LOATHE my Radion lights!!!!

roger saltwaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm gonna vent a little. First off, these things do function as lights and my coral seem to do fine under them. That's not the problem. The issue is adjusting them. What a nightmare. Everytime I try to change something I end up quitting and throwing up my hands in despair.

They couldn't make it where are a simple lap top program would be used to adjust them. No no no. Way to simple. We have to get the internet involved. So I buy the 'Reeflink' thinking this will resolve my issue. Nope. For some completely idiotic reason their engineers decided that this thing also must connect to the internet before use. I don't have Wifi at my house and this is an unbelievable nuisance.

So..... I truck all this garbage over to my shop. Guess what... reeflink still won't connect.....again. I think it works about one out of every hundred times. I wouldn't recommend this pile of garbage to my worst enemy.

I, like I'm sure most people who would purchase this junk, just wanna make my lights work. That's all. And I see no reason why Radion seems to think they must know my every move through forced internet connectivity. There is a reason comments are disabled on their useless YouTube videos.

I will NEVER buy anything from this company ever again. No way on earth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Roger,

I understand your frustration but I've personally never experienced the issues you're describing. Changing the settings for any of my Ecotech equipment is painless with the Reef Link. Would it be possible to get WiFi at home? Do you even need WiFi? My reef link is connected via ethernet and I never have any problems other than ocassionally needing to restart the reeflink.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger I agree 100 % there software is so horrible and u need to be a computer genius to figure every thing out between them and the apex controller I've realized high tech reef equipment is not for me

Viperdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with the OP. I had the vortex pumps and they were easy, but the radions are a pain to program. not only that , the reef link goes in and out. When I change the over ride timer, it never works. I am just about ready to trash these things and change them. As for growth, I had much better growth with the T5 setup on my old tank.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sps growth with my radions been ehh also I finally get them programmed and outta no where they go off schedule such a pain because I don't have time to screw with them right now I'm looking for new simple on off mh t5 fixture for xmas if ur someone who is really good with computer and likes to tinker think they great and I had no complaints about the look of them they look amazing but for me every thing I try and do I need help and is a 2 hr ordeal

Pm me if u wanna buy 2 radion gen 3 pros lol

OP
OP
roger saltwaters

roger saltwaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger,

I understand your frustration but I've personally never experienced the issues you're describing. Changing the settings for any of my Ecotech equipment is painless with the Reef Link. Would it be possible to get WiFi at home? Do you even need WiFi? My reef link is connected via ethernet and I never have any problems other than ocassionally needing to restart the reeflink.
Yeah I COULD get wifi at home. But I don't wanna. 1200 a year to dim my lights. If it even works.

kenjung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reeflink you will have to open it up make sure the wifi module is seated properly sometime when knock or drop it will pop out of the pins.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to configure with the usb connection? You shouldn't have these problems with ReefLink. I had mine up a going in 15 mins. Maybe a faulty module?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep got to the trade forum and trade your setup for kessil 360 with spectral controller. You wont be dissatisfied at all, unless you dislike the light turning off at 10% intensity compared to 1-2% you get with radions. Which i wish i had in my kessil! Dang you kessil!!!

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AP700s have a moon light function. Thankfully.

Viperdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have heard so many great things about the Kessil AP700 that I am strongly considering them

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the price they charge for those lights you would think that they would be more user friendly. I went with a Kessil AP700 & a couple of Kessil 160we with T5s on my 150g. Kind of copied the BRS 160 set up. Came close to pulling the trigger on the Ecotech Radions, just to much gear to get them to work. I Thought they would be the ultimate lights. Sometimes its best to just keep it simple.

OP
OP
roger saltwaters

roger saltwaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to configure with the usb connection? You shouldn't have these problems with ReefLink. I had mine up a going in 15 mins. Maybe a faulty module?
At the price they charge for those lights you would think that they would be more user friendly. I went with a Kessil AP700 & a couple of Kessil 160we with T5s on my 150g. Kind of copied the BRS 160 set up. Came close to pulling the trigger on the Ecotech Radions, just to much gear to get them to work. I Thought they would be the ultimate lights. Sometimes its best to just keep it simple.
Thats right. The Radions are not cheap. You would think something at this price point would have these problems worked out. Unbelievable

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech uses a weak wifi chip on the reeflink. Same with hydras you need a repeater if your router is more than 20ft away. I assume you can't go ethernet to the reeflink?

mhaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue. My reeflink does not "like" my home wifi. I had an outrage moment and wanted to tear the darn door off the hinges I was so angry. Well I read a quick tip to connect the reeflink to my hotspot on the phone. Instant fix!! I now love my radions again. I simply turn on my hotspot and then plug in my reeflink and within seconds I am up and running. No wifi needed at all.

I will admit that I am much happier with the AI interface and wifi connection, but that is another conversation.

Pm me if you have any questions.

Best of luck!!

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading all of these reviews about the reeflink after I received my radions is interesting... I hope I do not experience these issues. Once I get the reeflink.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just connect my Radions to my laptop with a usb cord and program them that way. You can load or tinker with your lighting schedule in "offline" mode while not connected to the lights and when you do connect them with a usb cord it will ask you if you would like to program the changes to your lights. No Reef Link needed for any of this.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back