I added caulerpa to display tank (photo)

tippytango

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of macro in the display tank! Sooooo I added some palm caulerpa…. Did I do it right? I scattered 3 small bunches and plan to keep them trimmed back. I do frequent maintenance and water changes so I won’t let it get out of control.
Thoughts on this? Did I add too much?
I also added some red grape macro but all the grapes came off during shipping so it’s just vines. It’s not visible in this photo but hopefully it grows in!

What else do I need to do to care for this palm caulerpa (and red grape)? I broadcast phytofeast and reef roids.
Thanks!

69D79513-C04A-4899-AC82-ED3BDF44F408.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tippytango

tippytango

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That feeding should produce enough waste for the caulerpa to grow. I would turn up your white spectrum a bit though
Ok, thank you! The picture certainly makes it look more blue… I do like the look with more white so I will up them a little! Thanks!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of macro in the display tank! Sooooo I added some palm caulerpa…. Did I do it right? I scattered 3 small bunches and plan to keep them trimmed back. I do frequent maintenance and water changes so I won’t let it get out of control.
I also added some red grape macro but all the grapes came off during shipping so it’s just vines. It’s not visible in this photo but hopefully it grows in!

What else do I need to do to care for this palm caulerpa (and red grape)? I broadcast phytofeast and reef roids.
Thanks!

Looks good. Having leathers and what looks like shrooms with it, makes a nice contrast.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Ok, thank you! The picture certainly makes it look more blue… I do like the look with more white so I will up them a little! Thanks!
That’s what I figured. As long as the spectrum is set at like 30% minimum then you should be good

OP
OP
tippytango

tippytango

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

That’s what I figured. As long as the spectrum is set at like 30% minimum then you should be good
Awesome, sounds good. I had them at 30% and upped them to 40. All the different ai prime settings have been so confusing for me! I never have been able to figure out the best ratio of what. Thanks for the tip on the whites!

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, sounds good. I had them at 30% and upped them to 40. All the different ai prime settings have been so confusing for me! I never have been able to figure out the best ratio of what. Thanks for the tip on the whites!
Yeah, the AI Prime is what I use for my nano. The channels aren't always straight forward when you start. Watching the BRS video on the AI Primes kind of helped me, but had to really dig into what each was used for

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species may not do so, but some types of caulerpa (such as the very fast growing caulerpa racemosa) can overrun an aquarium unless you have certain types of fish that eat it. I had to get a one spot foxface for that reason.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

I’ve got some Palm Caulerpa and love how it moves with the flow. I did go months without trimming and had to spend time trimming and trying to remove without leaving roots behind. They grow by runners do try by and keep the runners on certain rocks so it won’t get out of hand. Fish and inverts love it for natural safe shelter .

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great!!! As long as you have a little nitrates and phosphates they'll do well. Regular water changes are usually enough to replenish most trace elements. If the macro starts to get white or translucent then you may need to dose. Iron deficiency is probably the most common issue other than a NO3/PO4 deficiency.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Your tank is beautiful! And per Reef Cleaners, the palm caulerpa grows slower than other members of the caulerpa family, so it seems like you will be fine doing regular pruning.

OP
OP
tippytango

tippytango

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species may not do so, but some types of caulerpa (such as the very fast growing caulerpa racemosa) can overrun an aquarium unless you have certain types of fish that eat it. I had to get a one spot foxface for that reason.
I’m hoping you or someone else who sees this can help with a situation I’m having with this new caulerpa!
So, I have 3 separate small bunches…
1 of the bunches, the one right in the middle, the ends are turning white and pieces are falling off. Should I pull it out!? Is it dying? The other 2 bunches seem ok and aren’t turning white.
Thank you!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I know if they are suffering from trace element deficiency?
If the macro starts to get white or translucent then you may need to dose. Iron deficiency is probably the most common issue other than a NO3/PO4 deficiency.
Bingo! Well said @reddevilant!
I do run carbon and gfo… I’ve heard that can mess with trace elements.
Carbon would probably mess with ChaetoGRO, though I am not sure about the specifics for GFO and trace nutrients in general.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with my new Caulerpa. In addition it was eaten by some worms and slugs. I have removed quite a few of these. The leaves are turning white overnight. It seems the die off may be slowing down as a new leaf appeared. I do not know if it is the acclimation to the new environment, the severe attack by worms and slugs or the lack of nutrition that caused it. I do not have any fish in that tank, I just transferred the water from my FOWLR tank. I will follow to see if you solve your problem. The red macro are faring better, but yes a lot of the red grapes fell off.

Back