I am a new Saltwater fish keeper

BryceJohn39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I am new to this community and saltwater fish keeping in general. I have tons of freshwater tanks but I thought I would take the plunge into saltwater. So far everything has been going well. Tank is almost a year old. Couple of questions.
1. How does the coral placements look for the hammer on the left and Duncan on top most of the time they are out but I want to make sure they aren’t getting to much flow/light.
2. The toadstool leather was getting stung and I read online I could slowly but surely pry it from the rock and move it and a small piece was left on where it was. Will it be ok?
3. How can I tell if a coral doesn’t like where it is and if it’s getting to much flow/light

IMG_3046.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side!

1. Is the hammer on the sandbed? Hard to see. If so, it looks a bit closed up. If the corals are open and growing, you found a good place for them.
2. Not sure I understand the question - are you asking if it’s ok that a piece broke off? If so, yes. The fragment may also grow into a new coral.
3. If it isn’t getting enough light it will extend unnaturally towards the light source. Too much light, it will bleach or close. Too much flow, it will close.

OP
OP
B

BryceJohn39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side!

1. Is the hammer on the sandbed? Hard to see. If so, it looks a bit closed up. If the corals are open and growing, you found a good place for them.
2. Not sure I understand the question - are you asking if it’s ok that a piece broke off? If so, yes. The fragment may also grow into a new coral.
3. If it isn’t getting enough light it will extend unnaturally towards the light source. Too much light, it will bleach or close. Too much flow, it will close.
Yes it is in the sand bed I will get a better picture tomorrow of it but it’s hard to tell if it’s enjoying the spot I put it in because in it’s old spot some days it would close up and the fleshy bits would be small but some days it would be very fat and full so I’m trying different spots with it. That being said is it ok to move it around from spot to spot?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is in the sand bed I will get a better picture tomorrow of it but it’s hard to tell if it’s enjoying the spot I put it in because in it’s old spot some days it would close up and the fleshy bits would be small but some days it would be very fat and full so I’m trying different spots with it. That being said is it ok to move it around from spot to spot?
Yea it’s ok to move it, but give it a week or two to see how it likes the new spot before moving it again. “Nothing good happens fast in reefkeeping”

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! The best ways to tell if a coral is unhappy are it closing up for a significant portion of time or "bleaching" which just means losing color. Bleaching is usually caused by too much light. Closing up can be caused by any number of things, but it essentially just is the corals way of saying "I'm unhappy and in danger of dying." Make changes slowly, take your time, and don't do anything drastic! That's the name of the game.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back