I am about to quit

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stupid algae keeps coming back into my tank I am doing everything correct. I tested my nitrates 2 days ago and they were like 15 ppm, and 0.03 phosphates and this stupid algae keeps reappearing. It goes away for like two weeks and then comes back again. Yes I am using Rodi water as well. Can someone help me identify this stuff I have had it forever. maybe the algae is coming from to large of a bio load and not enough space for bacteria reproduction. The reason I think this is because I am using a fake rock from pet I as my main rock and maybe it’s leaching out silicates because it’s maid out of plastic. I am doing weekly water changes as well. Someone please help me I am at my wits end and I am about to quit this hobby. Help is very much appreciated.

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stupid algae keeps coming back into my tank I am doing everything correct. I tested my nitrates 2 days ago and they were like 15 ppm, and 0.03 phosphates and this stupid algae keeps reappearing. It goes away for like two weeks and then comes back again. Yes I am using Rodi water as well. Can someone help me identify this stuff I have had it forever. maybe the algae is coming from to large of a bio load and not enough space for bacteria reproduction. The reason I think this is because I am using a fake rock from pet I as my main rock and maybe it’s leaching out silicates because it’s maid out of plastic. I am doing weekly water changes as well. Someone please help me I am at my wits end and I am about to quit this hobby. Help is very much appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
poss cut back on feeding a little,dial back lighting some,not familiar w kessiels

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a pretty simple formula for algae and its based on your tank volume, not what guessing test kits might report on a given day regarding phosphate and nitrate.

the formula is this: anyone willing to spend on reefing can spend 25$ at home depot for a brute can.

a brute can holds about 50 gallons, so that means if someone owns a reef of 50 gallons and below that can be drained off into the bin, giving us direct access to sand and rock for algae killing, not starving. we'd put back water into a clean reef. we wouldnt dose meds, kill off algae, add to compounding in the rocks and sand, which is all other methods. we wouldnt add a cuc to turn the algae into whole waste, we're opposite of whole waste in the moves above.

if your tank is bigger than 50 gallons then usually there are too many excuses/reasons they can't wont drain, so the algae stays and 90% quit. 50 and below we can fix easy, 50 and above you need resolve to fix.

direct access not via the water is one thing you havent tried and we have ten years of threadwork handy to show how well it works. consider taking apart your tank and cleaning it, vs doing the other things which add to waste loading / algae fuel. i see we have double threads same topic, if not taken this post will self edit to 0 in a couple mins

furthering the algae formula, about 95% of infestations are caused by the keeper being unwilling to simply kill the algae and clean the system, name the excuse as to why. 95% of people want to have a wrecked tank, though they post they do not. those are usually the most challenging types of tanks to fix, the ones where the owner of the challenge system randomly pick new methods to try that are opposite of what fix threads show.

they choose the dose water method every time, getting clean reefs is like asking people to do their own tooth extraction.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how many gallons are we talking here/can't wait to see pics.

to check trending, we can check in the pico reef section of nano-reef.com, or here, not too many tanks have enduring dinos or algae problems

thats for large tankers...difference between direct and indirect access.

cleaning out reefs makes them live longer and it works for all situations, based on gallonage and willingness, solely.

the cause of your algae isnt N or P.

our method saves you from hesitating, the cause of any sub 50 gallon algae issue is leaving it in place/waiting for indirect methods to work. assertively taking command of the reef will benefit, not harm for sure.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy two :) or max reef is a biocube

you see my point though, theres hesitation and there's taking command of reefing. most of reefing makes us think taking command, before pics is dangerous

but we have just massive fix threads doing just that...leaving comfort zones behind and taking internal command/win back hobby and fix tank overnite.

how somebody wants to reef/prevent from the clean condition ranges. How we attain and fixed tank overnite doesnt range much, we clean it using documented means.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
very confusing this is a double emergency post ,help is currently looking at both ,i posted on other ,the one with pics,poss delete one???

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not an emergency but rather a concern to be analyzed. Several have requested pics in order to see what type of algae it is, and how to best combat it.
In the mean time, Is your tank at or near a window?

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from this to this.... My sand is so clean it glistens and coral disappears from pictures lol. Diamond gobies, snails, turbo/nassarius snail to name a few , crabs, sand sifting stars, more flow, just to name a few things to help. It will take some time so just have patience and dont get frustrated :) I also don't know how old your tank is and could just be the normal "uglies"(diatoms) which can take a while to get passed that phase.

20190214_160419.jpg
tank june 2020.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back