I am bewildered!

SaltyGal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help shed some light here...I bought a maxima clam about 2" that was attached to a "purple painted" rock last week from LFS. After acclimating him I put him at the bottom of my tank for further adjusting. The next morning he was off the rock and on the sand bed. He was open so I did not think it was a problem. Two days later he is gone! Eaten by God know who! I was stunned. I have a few crabs, a conch, one fire shrimp and snails, far less of a clean up crew for a 54 gallon reef that is normal. Correct me if I am wrong...scavengers would not go after a healthy clam or would they? Or is it that the clam was not healthy and they knew it??? I would like in time to get another clam, but not until I figure this one out - they are $80 a pop or more. A very expensive snack for somebody. I have a derasa clam in my other tank that I have had a least a year now that is no problem at all.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the clam was already on his way out. For future purchases try to find one over 3 inches they tend to fair better being more reliant on light than food when they're bigger.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm I an not sure Conch are clam safe, hopefully someone else will chime in. There other inverts should not bother a healthy clam.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several conchs never been a problem :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't put clams on my gravel because the larger bristle worms kill and eat them right away.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs (minus anemone crabs) and shrimp are reef safe but not really a clams safe, they are predators in the first place and if they are hungry or don't have enough food in your tank they will look at the clam as an easy tasty meal.
*if you search google you will see some RARE reports about scarlet hermit crab kill/eat a clams, if they are hungry enough they will eat any clams healthy or unhealthy, a lot of live stock listed "reef safe" but NO ONE listing them as clams safe :p

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that this is not helpful now, but try and find clams that have been at the LFS for as little time as possible. Most of the LFS do not light them enough and they slowly starve while they are there. They can look great up until the day or two before they die. While most things are more stable after being in captivity for longer amounts of time, I would rather have a clam right out of the bag and get them under my lights and in my tanks ASAP for the best chance.

FYI - I have 2 atlantic and 1 pacific conch, emerald crabs, scarlet crabs and some zebra legs in with 6 clams with no issues. IMO, they will take a free meal once a clam starts to die, but do not kill clams.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first week is a critical time. If they don't make it through that time, then you may have picked a bad clam.

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Not sure if I will get another clam at this point.

As others have suggested, get a larger specimen. I wouldn't consider attacking a pig, but a pork chop is history if it gets close enough. ;Smuggrin

Seriously though, even minus the *possibility* of predation, larger clams have a far higher survival rate.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part getting a healthy clam or experience enough to pick a healthy clam a LFS is the key for the clam survival and correct lighting par for them, baby clam and large clams are required all different lighting par even they are same species(ex: baby if you blast the baby clam with 200 par at it you might kill it out right and for the larger clam 200 par might not even enough to sustain its for long time if it's a wild caught clams), I have 4 baby Maximas clam all under 2 inches and none of them having any issue, they are all alive and healthy looking and grow some new shells (scute). Also, the baby clam is easier to adapt to captive live but easier to go down hill if something wrong, while the larger clams are harder to die but will take longer, harder to adapt to your aquarium life due to insufficient or correct lighting system that we are using on top of our tank, reading/researching is just only half of the battle if you're know what I meant.

OP
OP
S

SaltyGal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help shed some light here...I bought a maxima clam about 2" that was attached to a "purple painted" rock last week from LFS. After acclimating him I put him at the bottom of my tank for further adjusting. The next morning he was off the rock and on the sand bed. He was open so I did not think it was a problem. Two days later he is gone! Eaten by God know who! I was stunned. I have a few crabs, a conch, one fire shrimp and snails, far less of a clean up crew for a 54 gallon reef that is normal. Correct me if I am wrong...scavengers would not go after a healthy clam or would they? Or is it that the clam was not healthy and they knew it??? I would like in time to get another clam, but not until I figure this one out - they are $80 a pop or more. A very expensive snack for somebody. I have a derasa clam in my other tank that I have had a least a year now that is no problem at all.
Thanks everyone. Yes I do have fish, inverts and a bubble tip anemone who is getting pretty big now and already split twice.
I decided to not bother with maximas. I am not seeing many coming to my LFS anyway. I got a beauty of a derasa - cream with blue colored mantle with a blue rim. I have had him about a week now. Opened as soon as I got him acclimated and has been fine. I have another one in my 20 gal that I have had about a year now without issues. I think these clams are more my speed.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back