I am getting mad!

hyla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,
As I said I am getting mad... I have a 550 lt bb tank. The problem is that since I started it the thank is full of green powder on the glass that is impossible to get rid of, seems like phito. But e very time that I clean the glass after a couple of hours it sticks again... I've changed all the t5 neons thinking that was the problem. I have some troubles with the skimmer and I'm about to replace it with a bubble magus d9.
No3 10 po4 zero (salifert)
If you have any suggestions I'm happy to hear [emoji16]
Thanks!

Vteclover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever cleaned the glass right before the light are dimmed or out??
If you do it in the morning it comes back faster

OP
OP
H

hyla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I. Have got few turbo and two urchins. I'm use to clean the glasses in the morning.
Is a display thank so if you know anything that can remove them please tell me.

OP
OP
H

hyla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a picture
5c81fdacf6e92c46556ffb8535fb8194.jpg
9bfd77056ada41a3867f15aa4d472be1.jpg

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is too high relative to PO4. Either elevate phos slightly or reduce nitrate. That green dusting on the glass is always typical of a nitrate plentiful but phosphate limited environment. Phosphate rich and nitrate limited tanks tend to predominantly grow the hard brown spot algae on the glass IME

Also, a moderately sized UV sterilizer will likely help control the current bloom, but the nutrient issues are the underlying culprit.

OP
OP
H

hyla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I do it? I was thinking to dose some sugar or put some zeolite. But I rather prefer to follow your suggesion

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I do it? I was thinking to dose some sugar or put some zeolite. But I rather prefer to follow your suggesion
I'd start with a moderate 15 to 25 percent water change. Then add some biological denitrification media such as a zeolite, seachem denitrate, ceramic media, crushed live rock rubble etc to a medium to low flow section of your filter chamber. There are many ways to do it though. Some find success with an algae refugium or scrubbers (I find them almost too effective) but there's really no right or wrong way. And most importantly!!! - there's no issue with having some green dusting/film algae on the glass other than the aesthetic impairment. It's not going to harm your livestock.

Trochus snails are good grazers of many algaes and I like them a lot for general glass cleaning. They won't solve a nutrient issue but will help consume any unsightly buildup once you've got a handle on things.

OP
OP
H

hyla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about dosing liquid phosphate? Is a display tank in an office and looks dirty to people that doesn't know about marine acquarium. I've just broken an old and dry rock and put it in the sump

OP
OP
H

hyla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start with a moderate 15 to 25 percent water change. Then add some biological denitrification media such as a zeolite, seachem denitrate, ceramic media, crushed live rock rubble etc to a medium to low flow section of your filter chamber. There are many ways to do it though. Some find success with an algae refugium or scrubbers (I find them almost too effective) but there's really no right or wrong way. And most importantly!!! - there's no issue with having some green dusting/film algae on the glass other than the aesthetic impairment. It's not going to harm your livestock.

Trochus snails are good grazers of many algaes and I like them a lot for general glass cleaning. They won't solve a nutrient issue but will help consume any unsightly buildup once you've got a handle on things.
How about dosing liquid phosphate? Is a display tank in an office and looks dirty to people that doesn't know about marine acquarium. I've just broken an old and dry rock and put it in the sump.
I've got the felling that I'm starting to have cianobatteri as well, little parts of the rocks are becoming brownish

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 66 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 60 27.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 44 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back