Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a 25 lagoon. I have everything I need to get it wet. It will be 6 months before all of the house remodeling is done. I can set it up in the basement and move it upstairs when all the work is done. Is it that much trouble to move it?

SHOULD I WAIT???
25.jpeg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait to set up the system, but that doesn't mean you can't get started.

Start up some rock and sand in a temporary tub and kick the cycle in to high gear when everything is ready.

I've rushed set ups before it's never good.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a 25 lagoon. I have everything I need to get it wet. It will be 6 months before all of the house remodeling is done. I can set it up in the basement and move it upstairs when all the work is done. Is it that much trouble to move it?

SHOULD I WAIT???
25.jpeg
Being 25 gal it might be a lot easier to move later compared to a 250 gal but it’s still a pain in the butt .
Personally …. I’d try waiting ( TRY )

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above Nothing says you can’t place all the rocks in a tote and ghost feed them and have them live and cycled before the tank is ready

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait to set up the system, but that doesn't mean you can't get started.

Start up some rock and sand in a temporary tub and kick the cycle in to high gear when everything is ready.

I've rushed set ups before it's never good.
Thanks for the response. I don't think it is a rush, just the forgone conclusion of moving it In a few months.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I don't think it is a rush, just the forgone conclusion of moving it In a few months.
I mean if it was my house and my tank, I would just set it up and move it when it's time. Yea it's kinds of a pain, but it's only a 25. However I think instant cycling is a bit of a misnomer. There's more than just the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate that goes on, but it's still important long term. And a lot of it had to do with all of the other stuff that makes live rock, live. All of the worms, and pods, and algae, and sponges and every thing else. Some of it is going to be suited to your tank conditions and some isn't. Stuff that isn't, will die off or get out competed by stuff that is. It takes time for these populations to stabilize. Especially if you're doing live rock, 1 more reason to start now. Also give you more time to deal with any hitchhiker surprises

Last edited:
OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if it was my house and my tank, I would just set it up and move it when it's time. Yea it's kinds of s pain, but it's only a 25. However I think instant cycling is a bit of a misnomer. There's more than just the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate that goes on, but it's still important long term. And a lot of it had to do with all of the other stuff that makes live rock, live. All of the worms, and pods, and algae, and sponges and every thing else. Some of it is going to be suited to your tank conditions and some isn't. Stuff that isn't, will die off or get out competed by stuff that is. It takes time for these populations to stabilize. Especially if you're doing lice rock, 1 more reason to start now. Also give you more time to deal with any hitchhiker surprises
I agree, 100 %. Thanks for your response.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would set it up if there's no risk of the construction contaminating the tank. Draining and moving a 25g up a level is no big deal.

Not sure if you plan to go bare bottom. If you did, it would make that move even easier.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would set it up if there's no risk of the construction contaminating the tank. Draining and moving a 25g up a level is no big deal.

Not sure if you plan to go bare bottom. If you did, it would make that move even easier.
Aha! I might start with no sand and add it after the move!

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha! I might start with no sand and add it after the move!
Also good advice I didn't think to add. I think in going to be starting my tank barebottom when I first add rock, especially since I'm planning to add aquaculture Florida rock (lots of hitchhikers hopefully. Also makes it much easier to keep detritus cleared.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all of the input, most importantly, my wife agrees with the solution. I plan on setting up the 15 gallon Fluval Flex (will be the hospital or QT tank eventually) with the live rock for an observation period. No sand. I will add a firefish to keep the cycle going. this will give me time to watch the rocks, and give me something to do in the mean time. I am going to drive to Tampa to pick up live rock. My wife decided that she and my daughter get to go too, so, we are ALL winning!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back