I am really good at growing algae on acropora tips.

  • Thread starter Thread starter graihg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

graihg

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2024
Messages
109
Reaction score
106
Location
Dallas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, you must all be super, super jealous.

20241118_154104 (1).jpg

Here is one more:
20241118_153738 (1).jpg

By the way, trying to scrub off the algae with a toothbrush in a test spot did not work. Algae returns stronger.
 
do you think your lights are too much for them? burnt tips usually indicates too much light.

try lowering intensity, or distance from the water line.
 
do you think your lights are too much for them? burnt tips usually indicates too much light.

try lowering intensity, or distance from the water line.
I did not know this. Come to think of it, this started happening after I added supplemental lighting...
 
do you think your lights are too much for them? burnt tips usually indicates too much light.

try lowering intensity, or distance from the water line.
3 Hydra 32s at 100% for 5 hours with 2 hour ramp up and 2 hour ramp down.
2 Orphek (4 foot bars) at 100% for 3 hours - mounted 12 inches above waterline

that doesn't seem like too much, right?
 
3 Hydra 32s at 100% for 5 hours with 2 hour ramp up and 2 hour ramp down.
2 Orphek (4 foot bars) at 100% for 3 hours - mounted 12 inches above waterline

that doesn't seem like too much, right?
doesn't SEEM much, but the burnt tips definitely point towards that direction. can only assume, unless you have access to a PAR meter.

do the orphek's go on at peak(the 3hrs), or turn on once your hydra's start ramping? are the hydra's also mounted 12" from water line?
 
Last edited:
I know, you must all be super, super jealous.

20241118_154104 (1).jpg

Here is one more:
20241118_153738 (1).jpg

By the way, trying to scrub off the algae with a toothbrush in a test spot did not work. Algae returns stronger.
What's your nutrients?

20230304_143918.jpg
 
Current Nutrients
Ca - 480
Alk - 8
pH - 8.3
ORP - 282
NO3 - 18.2
PO4 - .08
Mg - 1390
Sal - 1.026
125g mixed reef trying to go acro-dominant.
All Hanna testers, except Alk and Ca are Fritz.
 
I’ve seen that with using GFO as well.
 
doesn't SEEM much, but the burnt tips definitely point towards that direction. can only, assume unless you have access to a PAR meter.

do the orphek's go on at peak(the 3hrs), or turn on once your hydra's start ramping? are the hydra's also mounted 12" from water line?
the hydras are mounted at 12 inches also
the orpheks turn on at the beginning of the Hydra peak
 
I'm using 3 tsp every 2 weeks mixed into 1 cup carbon...does that seem like too much?
Hmmm. Probably not in 125 gallon tank.

I see good coralline growth so that is good. If it were my tank I would back off the lights some and run without GFO for a while. I would probably use less carbon as well (I use 1/2 cup ROX carbon in my sump replaced every 3 weeks in my 180).

Then evaluate.

Are any acros growing well?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new