OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if things are better or worse. Rainbow nem let go and hasn’t reattached but is quite inflated (as if it’s trying to move around). I guess that’s better than deflated?

And the green nem is pretty unhappy. I had to move it last night as I was worried something would happen when I am at work today and potentially harm the tank as some of my corals are still trying to recover from the previous incident. Took me forever to get it off the rock but no tears in the foot. However it is quite unhappy and has an open, protruding mouth (but a sticky foot).

Feeling pretty bad about this but hoping they can still pull through.

:/

88A10FA8-C229-4F7D-88ED-E9D9EEBB6708.jpeg
8922C793-6802-47BF-B798-8F022E56A142.jpeg
72F16299-0233-4EA2-888E-8620675588F4.jpeg
9FE0386C-F3EC-4FFA-849C-578A23F3F9C7.jpeg

Cary Hover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut it free. Get him good light and some flow. He may make it.

Cary Hover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut it free. Get him good light and some flow. He may make it.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep as you can see from this page the nem is totally free. Heading home from work now and will post an update. Looks like it took a decline when I left for work though :( both of them look pretty bad. Will probably do another big w/c today to clean the tank up.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sad news. I had to remove him :( I got home and it’s guts were out and attempting to move him showed he was beginning to disintegrate. I strongly believe the nem did not make it because it’s mouth was torn in the power headboard. Had it been just tentacles or foot I think it could have split but perhaps without a mout it couldn’t? I figured best to remove so it wouldn’t spike the tank and hurt the other nem. Being bummed would be an understatement.

On a positive note the other nem is showing marginal improvement but no tentacles... not sure what to do about that.

Here is the “improving” nem:
59AC915E-EC6B-4AF7-A653-3CD61A55E251.jpeg

:( sorry for the negative outcome everyone.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sad news. I had to remove him :( I got home and it’s guts were out and attempting to move him showed he was beginning to disintegrate. I strongly believe the nem did not make it because it’s mouth was torn in the power headboard. Had it been just tentacles or foot I think it could have split but perhaps without a mout it couldn’t? I figured best to remove so it wouldn’t spike the tank and hurt the other nem. Being bummed would be an understatement.

On a positive note the other nem is showing marginal improvement but no tentacles... not sure what to do about that.

No worries, you tried, that's the important part.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey man you did what you could and that is outstanding. I have a few nems that should be splitting soon 1 is your free of charge when they do I’ll ship it to you no worries man you tried

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man you did what you could and that is outstanding. I have a few nems that should be splitting soon 1 is your free of charge when they do I’ll ship it to you no worries man you tried

Wow that’s super kind of you man I really appreciate that. Right now I’m not feeling any confidence in my anemone keeping abilities though :( and I would hate to lose a fellow member’s anemone. I will absolutely take you up on that if any split in the future though. Very kind of you and I appreciate it!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you did all you could for the one, and at least the one improving does look like it should be fine.
Sometimes improving requires that one step back before bouncing back 2 forward.

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you lost the anenome. I was actually reading your thread last night and had a bad feeling. I went in to work (I teach 5th grade) this morning and my water was cloudy. Lo and behold, my rbta sucked into powerhead. I couldn't take the steps you did because the day before, I used my last 5g of saltwater to do a wc which was needed after 2 week winter break. I also don't have other tanks at school.
I did remove the powerhead fairly quickly and have it in a container floating in tank. Tank is a 16g and by the end of school, water was much clearer, other coral seemed unhappy but not dying, and don't have any fish yet that I had to worry about.
Will do a wc tomorrow and hope that it frees itself overnight and will recover. Thanks to your thread and member replies, I had a little more knowledge of what do as jabberwok mentioned in post above.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I would recommend taking care of those flatworms. If you use flatworm RX and when they die those ones I believe will release a toxin. So have Carbon in your tank and get ready to do at least 2 water changes. Before you do so I would try removing them before hand. There are different ways to hand remove them.

Wish you the best!

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you lost the anenome. I was actually reading your thread last night and had a bad feeling. I went in to work (I teach 5th grade) this morning and my water was cloudy. Lo and behold, my rbta sucked into powerhead. I couldn't take the steps you did because the day before, I used my last 5g of saltwater to do a wc which was needed after 2 week winter break. I also don't have other tanks at school.
I did remove the powerhead fairly quickly and have it in a container floating in tank. Tank is a 16g and by the end of school, water was much clearer, other coral seemed unhappy but not dying, and don't have any fish yet that I had to worry about.
Will do a wc tomorrow and hope that it frees itself overnight and will recover. Thanks to your thread and member replies, I had a little more knowledge of what do as jabberwok mentioned in post above.

So sorry to hear :( how is the mouth? I do believe mine didn’t make it due to the very severe damage to the mouth / disk. If I can help you at all let me know, it’s a difficult situation to be in!

Sorry for your loss. I would recommend taking care of those flatworms. If you use flatworm RX and when they die those ones I believe will release a toxin. So have Carbon in your tank and get ready to do at least 2 water changes. Before you do so I would try removing them before hand. There are different ways to hand remove them.

Wish you the best!

Thank you! I have a healthy melanarus wrasse acclimating right now. Given the way these are spreading, I’m skipping QT. Hopefully he does some damage but if not it’s time to get them out by hand and look st other means of control.

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this happens to a lot of people who are new to nems. I purchased a huge nem for 50 bucks and had it for 6 months and everything was going great. I did a water change and some how got my salinity off. My nem started moving around the tank which is why I tested the salinity and found out it was off. Well I corrected the salinity issue and the nem “seemed” to settle so I went to bed thinking everything was good. Yeah well it wasn’t. My kids woke me up early the next morning telling me something was wrong with my tank because it was all cloudy and dirty and my pump was making a weird noise. Yep my big beautiful nem decided to try and climb through my powerhead. Nothing but 100’s of little pieces of nem around the tank and a few chunks in the powerhead remained. So I feel your disappointment and I’m sure a lot of other people have as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back