I am such an idiot. Anemone disaster.

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. Take peace of mind though that you did everything in your power to save it. I appreciate you showing the steps along with pictures that you took. This will be a great thread for others if anyone ever has a similar issue.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really hoping he would pull through. Sorry for your loss.

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, I really thought he was going to make it when I read the first page I'd have given it a 45% chance of survival I'm sorry for your loss, you've done all you could & were just unlucky, I've seen worse pull through

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, I really thought he was going to make it when I read the first page I'd have given it a 45% chance of survival I'm sorry for your loss, you've done all you could & were just unlucky, I've seen worse pull through
Don't want to hijack OP thread, but what % chance do you think mine has? First photo was taken this morning. It freed itself from power head and foot is attached to rubnle. Second photo, now, foot still attached, mouth is chewed up.
25c942f06c2751f0c642dc8d5f3b5571.jpg
41f50d42f3d59d70dfecb0e8aa32f760.jpg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to hijack OP thread, but what % chance do you think mine has? First photo was taken this morning. It freed itself from power head and foot is attached to rubnle. Second photo, now, foot still attached, mouth is chewed up.

Always try, I've seen many that looked doomed that recovered.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it didn't make it :(

How's the one in the tank doing today?

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was praying yours split and recovered. I have a Nano 14g I use for BTA as it has no powerhead besides under a rock for water movement when changing water and remains off until
Just 5 days ago my loan female ground 3 nems to a pulp. 2 survived and lost my teal speckled.
The clam cup was to hold it from being blow but still have flow.

BTA’s seem to really test the owners constantly. People say there very hardy nems and maybe sure but seem to get into trouble to often to be deemed hardy...
On the waters light line Right next to the bottom one is one she almost killed. All you can see is a Nickle sized nipple....
CDB93F42-EE4E-45F6-88A8-075812E55442.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it didn't make it :(

How's the one in the tank doing today?

Really not looking great. Water quality has been stable so I’m not sure what’s going on with it. No tentacles and mucus building on the edge of the disk where the tentacles should be. I would guess it’s starving and deteriorating. I got it to eat 3 days ago and will try again today. At this point I’m not sure what else I can do but play the waiting game.

There aren’t any nitrates in the water, I kinda wonder if that’s part of it. My big tank has 0 nitrates and 0.02 phosphates and I’m about ready to try manually dosing nitrates.

I was praying yours split and recovered. I have a Nano 14g I use for BTA as it has no powerhead besides under a rock for water movement when changing water and remains off until
Just 5 days ago my loan female ground 3 nems to a pulp. 2 survived and lost my teal speckled.
The clam cup was to hold it from being blow but still have flow.

BTA’s seem to really test the owners constantly. People say there very hardy nems and maybe sure but seem to get into trouble to often to be deemed hardy...
On the waters light line Right next to the bottom one is one she almost killed. All you can see is a Nickle sized nipple....
CDB93F42-EE4E-45F6-88A8-075812E55442.jpeg

Sorry to hear that. :(

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that. What and how much do you feed the fish/tank?

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that. What and how much do you feed the fish/tank?

The hospital tank the nem is in doesn’t get fed — just shrimp when it’s time to feed the nem. It doesn’t have tentacles so I patiently hold the food near its mouth and the mouth eventually sort of envelops it. It does keep the food down though which is good.

The big tank gets fed a large portion of a blend of veggies and shrimp soaked in vitamins and garlic every day. It’s a 525xl with:

Melanarus wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
Tomini tang
Lightning maroon clown
Marine betta
Engineer goby
Bar goby

And a good cleanup crew. I also dose 12ml acropower daily

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be doing something wrong here. The green BTA is shriveled up this morning and looking like it's declining in health.

Tank params are (36 gallons, 19" deep):
kH: 10
Sal: 1.026
Temp: 78
Ca: 450
mg: 1350
NO3: 0
PO4: 0

30% water changes every 2 days with water that perfectly matches tank params

Running carbon and floss in a canister filter

Using 1 Hydra 26
ACBE30D3-1EA7-4639-879E-3DB62267AB7E.jpeg
191D8FC4-8688-4944-8296-AF6253D9A3CE.jpeg

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Her foot is torn :(.. never give up though, I'd either move the (beautifull) anemone to a QT, give it enough light, make sure that the water isn't too clean, and leave it be.
Give it some amount of current, but not too much, you can check up on her every once in a while, check if she's not disintegrating.

Recovery will take a few weeks (4+) and sometimes even takes months (12+ weeks) before they're back on their feet. Once she's looking a little bit better start feeding anemone pellets, start with half a week, and move it slowly over the course of it's growth cycle to 2 per week.

Good luck, she's a real beauty! Definetly jealous!

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be doing something wrong here. The green BTA is shriveled up this morning and looking like it's declining in health.

Tank params are (36 gallons, 19" deep):
kH: 10
Sal: 1.026
Temp: 78
Ca: 450
mg: 1350
NO3: 0
PO4: 0

30% water changes every 2 days with water that perfectly matches tank params

Running carbon and floss in a canister filter

Using 1 Hydra 26
ACBE30D3-1EA7-4639-879E-3DB62267AB7E.jpeg
191D8FC4-8688-4944-8296-AF6253D9A3CE.jpeg

Don't keep your NO3 & PO4 at 0, they need some amount of PO4 and NO3, most corals do

Edit: I honestly don't get people that advice NO3 and PO4 should be 0 for anemones, at this point I keep 4 BTA's, and they absolutely hate having 0 NO3 & 0 PO4, but I feel like it's a very sensitive subject for most Anemone keepers, some like dirty water, others like clean water.

Overall I'm having great succes with feeding my 4 nems 2x per week, and doing 1 WC a week, which is about 8% of the total volume.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really not looking great. Water quality has been stable so I’m not sure what’s going on with it. No tentacles and mucus building on the edge of the disk where the tentacles should be. I would guess it’s starving and deteriorating. I got it to eat 3 days ago and will try again today. At this point I’m not sure what else I can do but play the waiting game.

There aren’t any nitrates in the water, I kinda wonder if that’s part of it. My big tank has 0 nitrates and 0.02 phosphates and I’m about ready to try manually dosing nitrates.

Sorry to hear that. :(
Do you run carbon? If there are toxins from the incident, those wouldn't register on any test kits, kit's, are carbon would help remove it.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, running carbon in a reactor on the big tank and in a bag in the HOB filter in the little tank. That was definitely my first concern and wanted to keep that out of the water.

I've never been able to get my nitrates up on my big tank... I'm so tempted to stock it with a ton of fish lol. Maybe that would do it and look cool lol. Going to increase my acropower dose though and see what happens.

As far as nitrates in the hospital tank.... any suggestions? There's no rock or substrate in there since it's currently a hospital tank. And no fish to feed. Therefore I need to rely on large water changes relatively frequently to keep things stable and keep the ammonia out. I can transfer a fish and feed it in there but the only fish I'd be able to catch is the clown and that was his anemone... he'd probably irritate it.

That tank will become a nem tank soon though but will have to go through the cycle and everything. I'm trying to get a head start by cycling some of the rock I plan to use in the sump of my big tank but that's still going to take time.

Given the nitrate discussion, I feel as if I'm in a rock and a hard place... literally. Since there isn't cycled rock in the tank I don't see how nitrates would/could become present in the tank aside from dosing nitrate directly?

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran a full blown anemone tank, all I focused on was a water change monthly and that was it. Anemone's thrive in dirty water.

Yes, running carbon in a reactor on the big tank and in a bag in the HOB filter in the little tank. That was definitely my first concern and wanted to keep that out of the water.

I've never been able to get my nitrates up on my big tank... I'm so tempted to stock it with a ton of fish lol. Maybe that would do it and look cool lol. Going to increase my acropower dose though and see what happens.

As far as nitrates in the hospital tank.... any suggestions? There's no rock or substrate in there since it's currently a hospital tank. And no fish to feed. Therefore I need to rely on large water changes relatively frequently to keep things stable and keep the ammonia out. I can transfer a fish and feed it in there but the only fish I'd be able to catch is the clown and that was his anemone... he'd probably irritate it.

That tank will become a nem tank soon though but will have to go through the cycle and everything. I'm trying to get a head start by cycling some of the rock I plan to use in the sump of my big tank but that's still going to take time.

Given the nitrate discussion, I feel as if I'm in a rock and a hard place... literally. Since there isn't cycled rock in the tank I don't see how nitrates would/could become present in the tank aside from dosing nitrate directly?

can you seed it with a few rocks from your bigger tank? Maybe a few small ones? I have a couple lying around in my tank at the front i can just grab

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you seed it with a few rocks from your bigger tank? Maybe a few small ones? I have a couple lying around in my tank at the front i can just grab

There is a piece of rock in there from the big tank right now; it's the only piece I can take out without having to completely disassemble the formations. There may be one other piece that I can try for later today.

The rocks from the big tank are big and the tank volume of the hospital tank is low... perhaps it would be possible to isolate the nem in a bucket with life support, empty the tank, put sand in, add those 1 or 2 pieces of LR with another piece of LR that has been cycling in the sump for a week now, let the tank run for a day, test water, add nem back? I've never tried something like that and maybe it wouldn't be advisable with a nem on the decline but it's just an idea. The hope would be for a cycled tank

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Positive news:

The Goniopora has made a full comeback
Torch corals is improving rapidly
Melanarus wrasse i believe is eating the red planaria!

564903D6-BE01-4162-8AE8-4F2E22DD77BD.jpeg
BA064CAD-59A7-4307-B27D-594739BF0D14.jpeg

I’d also like to state the importance of carbon! You should have carbon rinsed and ready to run if you aren’t using it 24/7. Fortunately my reactor was ready to go after the nem got sucked into the power head. I noticed an immediate improvement just hours after running the carbon reactor — water cleared up and corals came out. I believe this was more valuable than doing water changes (though both probably necessary).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back