I am thinking of switching from Red Sea Coral Pro to TM Bio-Actif or Syn-Biotic Sea Salt

Jubal_Harshaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still learning to manage my 9-month-old reef (softies and LPS), and when I upgraded from a 13 Gallon to a 50 Gallon tank :) I continued using the salt that I was given to me by the store (not specialized in marine fish), which was Red Sea Coral Pro. Now I am considering switching from Red Sea Coral Pro to TM Bio-Actif or Syn-Biotic Sea Salt. Which one of the two do you think is better for me?

How should I go about the switchover (water changes etc.) to the new salt?

Fish:
2 Clowns
1 Flame Angel
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Yellow Clown Goby
1 Royal Gramma
1 Hello Corris Wrasse

Water:
50 Gallon
25 ppm Nitrate
0.65 ppm Phosphate
Salinity 34.2 ppt
Ca: 465 ppm
Alk: 12.5

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still learning to manage my 9-month-old reef (softies and LPS), and when I upgraded from a 13 Gallon to a 50 Gallon tank :) I continued using the salt that I was given to me by the store (not specialized in marine fish), which was Red Sea Coral Pro. Now I am considering switching from Red Sea Coral Pro to TM Bio-Actif or Syn-Biotic Sea Salt. Which one of the two do you think is better for me?

How should I go about the switchover (water changes etc.) to the new salt?

Fish:
2 Clowns
1 Flame Angel
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Yellow Clown Goby
1 Royal Gramma
1 Hello Corris Wrasse

Water:
50 Gallon
25 ppm Nitrate
0.65 ppm Phosphate
Salinity 34.2 ppt
Ca: 465 ppm
Alk: 12.5

As your softies and LPS corals grow, your salt will matter less because your dosing of needed X, Y, and/or Z is going to matter more for maintaining your water parameters. Keep tracking your water parameters to see what drops. When the start to drop, that's when you start to dose as needed... and when manual dosing gets to be a bother, that's when automated dosing will come into play... some will say water changes aren't even needed (if one can control parameters well).

Stability is most important for corals; salt mix not so much.

I happen to use Red Sea Coral Pro but recognize cheaper salts are out there... but instead I just took advantage of today's Black Friday sale (and UPS delivery guy is going to HATE me)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know that I would go with either of the probiotic salts unless you have a reason to.

TM Pro or Classic is great. You are coming from a high alkalinity salt so you’ll need to watch your parameters when switching.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember:

If you go with TM Bio-Actif, stay within TM’s water change amount directions. It has carbon source and can lead to a bacteria bloom if your water change is over their set limit.

If you‘re switching for a lower alk mix, the Red Sea Blue is a good choice, and if you can find the big bags, it’s a lot more affordable.

TraydersAnonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i decided to try and do a blend of red sea blue bucket and coral pro to see if i could get a good mix of the two. i'll also state there is no coral or livestock in this tank yet. ill let you know how it goes

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back