I can’t keep anemones

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can keep almost anything long term (we all have livestock deaths here and there) but I can’t keep anemones for longer than 2 weeks before they go downhill.

It always goes like this:
-I buy a colorful, healthy nem
-It starts losing color and suction at the foot
-It either hides under a rock to never emerge again or it starts gaping it’s mouth until it eventually dies
-I tried 3 in tank, 1 in a nem box. All wild but healthy. I’m not sure I want to try aquacultured ($$$) given my mortality rates

I put them under 100-150 PAR, which I’m told is on the lower end but multiple people I know keep them alive and healthy at those numbers.

Parameters
Ph 8.1-8.4
Alk 9.5-10 (very stable)
Calcium 450-550
Magnesium 1400-1500
Nitrate 5-12
Phosphate .02-.05 (very stable)

It seems to be bacterial and in the past it spread from a BTA to 3 RFAs that died showing similar symptoms. In the past 6 months, I moved (new sand bed), treated the tank with cipro and chemiclean (not while I had a nem).

jayman19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine hate water change day, get grumpy everytime.
Same here lol. My BTAs will deflate. When I get a new one I notice they inflate and deflate often as they acclimate to your tank and lights. Have some in my larger tank that doesn’t get water changes for months and they have been stable for a long time now.

pennied

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can keep almost anything long term (we all have livestock deaths here and there) but I can’t keep anemones for longer than 2 weeks before they go downhill.

It always goes like this:
-I buy a colorful, healthy nem
-It starts losing color and suction at the foot
-It either hides under a rock to never emerge again or it starts gaping it’s mouth until it eventually dies
-I tried 3 in tank, 1 in a nem box. All wild but healthy. I’m not sure I want to try aquacultured ($$$) given my mortality rates

I put them under 100-150 PAR, which I’m told is on the lower end but multiple people I know keep them alive and healthy at those numbers.

Parameters
Ph 8.1-8.4
Alk 9.5-10 (very stable)
Calcium 450-550
Magnesium 1400-1500
Nitrate 5-12
Phosphate .02-.05 (very stable)

It seems to be bacterial and in the past it spread from a BTA to 3 RFAs that died showing similar symptoms. In the past 6 months, I moved (new sand bed), treated the tank with cipro and chemiclean (not while I had a nem).
Well here’s mostly your problem….

100-150 PAR

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give my anemones between 250-400 par. Flow just depends on them and what they are willing to tolerate. They also like stability in parameters, especially nitrate. High or low isn’t the biggest deal, but large fluctuations I always see my nems ticked

What would you consider large? My nitrate will do as low as 5 and as high as 15 but typically it sits between 7-12

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can find a local reefer selling one of their splits for cheap.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Usually I see them selling high end types, which I have been avoiding since they don’t fare well. But once in a while I see no name BTAs for $75 ish, so I will try that next.

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the hesitation. I bought 3 nems from my LFS, as soon as I'd get them home, they'd turn to crap and waste away. I got another from a hobbyist who had started selling his splits and it's been amazing since day 1.

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here’s mostly your problem….

100-150 PAR
At this point this is my guess too. What would you say is the minimum? I know at least one reefer keeping a BTA at 75 PAR but I understand the way it acclimated might be different. What confuses me is they move away from the light rather than trying to stretch for light like corals do

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back