I can't figure out what's wrong with my fish

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to make a new thread since the old one is just getting buried with information and I need the help ASAP.

So, to update, yesterday I believed my clownfish had brook. Excess slime coat, rapid breathing, wouldn't settle in the tank.

I took him out, freshwater dipped and placed him in a 10G bucket with sterile salt water, a heater and filter.

Today, he's still breathing rapidly and his colouration isn't fantastic but he's also acting less weird. Still isn't eating. However, now he has a clouded eye on his right that wasn't there before.

I'm wanting to go to the LFS to try get meds so if anyone can help me identify what's actually wrong with him ASAP that would be great.

To note: The other clownfish I bought on the same day is 100% fine, eating, chosen an anemone to live in, swimming and breathing normally.

#fishmedics

clownfish.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've decided to make a new thread since the old one is just getting buried with information and I need the help ASAP.

So, to update, yesterday I believed my clownfish had brook. Excess slime coat, rapid breathing, wouldn't settle in the tank.

I took him out, freshwater dipped and placed him in a 10G bucket with sterile salt water, a heater and filter.

Today, he's still breathing rapidly and his colouration isn't fantastic but he's also acting less weird. Still isn't eating. However, now he has a clouded eye on his right that wasn't there before.

I'm wanting to go to the LFS to try get meds so if anyone can help me identify what's actually wrong with him ASAP that would be great.

To note: The other clownfish I bought on the same day is 100% fine, eating, chosen an anemone to live in, swimming and breathing normally.

#fishmedics

clownfish.png
Sterile salt water won’t cure it. You need to act quickly and treat with formalin based medication such as quick cure or ruby rally pro
For quick cure, start with a 45 minute bath and then treat
For ruby rally pro, start with 60-90 mins bath then treat. Ruby will take a little longer
Add aeration via air stone during treatment

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I cannot see the video.
The cloudy eye could be from damage/injury from moving - or an infection.

A dip is not a treatment - it will buy you some time.
I would follow the treatment for Brooklynella with a formaldehyde-based product - and add an antibiotic (such as Maracyn 2 or kanaplex) if the eye is getting worse - assuming it's a bacterial infection. Add aeration - and follow ammonia closely

Hope this helps - and good luck with the clown.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to note I didn’t freshwater dip to cure whatever is wrong, I was just buying myself some time while everything was closed over the weekend. Sterile salt water just means I’ve placed him seperate from the tank.

I don’t have a running QT so this 10g bucket with filter and heater is the best I can do right now.

If I do a formalin dip, and return him to the Bucket after how long should he be kept there?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to note I didn’t freshwater dip to cure whatever is wrong, I was just buying myself some time while everything was closed over the weekend. Sterile salt water just means I’ve placed him seperate from the tank.

I don’t have a running QT so this 10g bucket with filter and heater is the best I can do right now.

If I do a formalin dip, and return him to the Bucket after how long should he be kept there?
You need to add medication to the bucket. A formalin dip will not cure the fish. Also a bucket makes a fine hospital tank - making sure to add aeration - and follow ammonia levels

For your reference - here is an article about brooklynella - and its treatment. I would follow those instructions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Typical treatment is 7-10 days. Monitor ammonia levels and provide aeration
For the eye-Maracyn is the treatment of choice but address the brook first which seems to be progressive

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to add medication to the bucket. A formalin dip will not cure the fish. Also a bucket makes a fine hospital tank - making sure to add aeration - and follow ammonia levels

For your reference - here is an article about brooklynella - and its treatment. I would follow those instructions.
I don’t think you added a link to your post! I’ll try get some formalin, I don’t think my LFS stocks it so it might have to be Amazon.

I’m a little cautious about using this stuff with it being a carcinogen, I don’t have any respiratory protection only gloves

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t think you added a link to your post! I’ll try get some formalin, I don’t think my LFS stocks it so it might have to be Amazon.

I’m a little cautious about using this stuff with it being a carcinogen, I don’t have any respiratory protection only gloves

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You want to be careful with any chemical. You should not need respiratory protection for the short time you're using it - and at the concentrations you're using. Formaldehyde can be toxic - make sure to do your dosing correctly - i.e. the volume of water in the bucket, etc.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to be careful with any chemical. You should not need respiratory protection for the short time you're using it - and at the concentrations you're using. Formaldehyde can be toxic - make sure to do your dosing correctly - i.e. the volume of water in the bucket, etc.
Thank you! Assuming successful treatment over the course of a week and the clownfish appears to be better. How long until it can go back in the display?

This is the tough question since I can’t imagine the bucket would be good for 6 weeks like a typical fallow period, but I’m afraid the DT water may now be compromised. There’s still one clownfish in the DT who has, over the last 3 days this has been happening, shower no signs or symptoms what so ever

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also asked my LFS if they stock any formalin and this was their response

4A56EF40-56B2-428C-BFBC-CC802D5A6B10.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also asked my LFS if they stock any formalin and this was their response

4A56EF40-56B2-428C-BFBC-CC802D5A6B10.png
Assuming that the product below was what they are talking about - it contains formalin:)

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that the product below was what they are talking about - it contains formalin:)
Yes I believe that’s the one!!

just to circle back to my question before that, sorry, regarding how long he should be out of DT - it’s just above the post you replied to

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I believe that’s the one!!

just to circle back to my question before that, sorry, regarding how long he should be out of DT - it’s just above the post you replied to
I believe this is a debated issue. In theory, all of the fish in the tank should be treated out of the Display - as directed on the medication you bought (I'm not familiar with it). As to a fallow period - 6 weeks without fish is the most common recommendation.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is a debated issue. In theory, all of the fish in the tank should be treated out of the Display - as directed on the medication you bought (I'm not familiar with it). As to a fallow period - 6 weeks without fish is the most common recommendation.
Haha that's the thing right, surely I can't keep two clownfish (one is huge) in a 10g bucket for six whole weeks LOL.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha that's the thing right, surely I can't keep two clownfish (one is huge) in a 10g bucket for six whole weeks LOL.
I would consider buying a cheap 20 gallon (or 15 gallon) tank anyway. I was thinking the bucket was more temporary.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider buying a cheap 20 gallon (or 15 gallon) tank anyway. I was thinking the bucket was more temporary.
Funnily enough I have one that is meant for quarantine but I had to put my freshwater fish in there while they are rehomed (I sold their tank and the buyer didn’t want the fish) bad timing lol

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about using the air stone with that medication. Would it not put the formaldehyde in the air with the gas exchange occurring in the water?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about using the air stone with that medication. Would it not put the formaldehyde in the air with the gas exchange occurring in the water?
The concentration is not high - and it's a short period of time. You can also put a flow pump across the surface of the water instead if concerned with the airstone.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS won’t have any ynt Friday so internet is my best friend. Earliest on that I believe is Wednesday. Have to see if he makes it

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 145 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 118 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back