Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ingredients

6B5F05CF-8791-48AF-8A22-60082FEA712E.jpeg

I’m unsure on age, bottle says it’s good for 6 months.

I can have a seachem copper test kit delivered today by Amazon if that’s the best route

That stuff apparently has the same ingredients as Ruby Reef Rally Pro - that works as a dip, but not so well as a constant bath. I think acriflavine breaks down pretty quickly, that product may be too old.

Jay

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stuff apparently has the same ingredients as Ruby Reef Rally Pro - that works as a dip, but not so well as a constant bath. I think acriflavine breaks down pretty quickly, that product may be too old.

Jay
Then what do you suggest at this point because I feel like I’m back at square one with this information

I just want to save my fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what do you suggest at this point because I feel like I’m back at square one with this information

I just want to save my fish
If this product has instructions for using it as a 60 or 90 minute dip, I would do that.
Jay

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the higher dose for the dip….
Jay
Cool! I’ve got some maths to do then LOL I’ll be dipping in a 1 litre container, he’s only a tiny clownfish. I’d do it in the bucket he’s in now but I use it for salt mixing and don’t want to have any chemicals get in the plastic

which is…. 2.2ml right? Christ I could be way off
I assume label shows expiration of January 2023
Yes January 2023 bt the looks of it but it also depends on how long the bottle has been opened I suppose.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction: 2l of water for 1ml of this stuff.

Last question: Do I ADD the fish to a bath that already contains this? Or do I put the fish in and THEN add the chemicals?

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just done a 90 minute bath. They’re going in a sterile quarantine tank I’ve just had setup and been heating and fresh salt water mixed for. Time to keep an eye on them and hope they get better!

Even though the other clownfish wasn’t showing signs or symptoms I opted to take preventative measures and run this treatment on both of them. I’ll keep them both in quarantine for 6 weeks and let the display run fallow.

If both clownfish are alive in 6 weeks am I safe to assume that no parasites, no brook or anything is still present on the fish/in the QT water, or in the display tank?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paraguard has worked when I had to treat fish with brook. It contains some aldehyde and malachite green. This might be more available in the future if you need more medicine

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paraguard has worked when I had to treat fish with brook. It contains some aldehyde and malachite green. This might be more available in the future if you need more medicine
Awesome thank you I’ll try keep some for future use. My question above about my fish looking like they’re doing worse after a dip, is that normal in your experience?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you I’ll try keep some for future use. My question above about my fish looking like they’re doing worse after a dip, is that normal in your experience?

Sorry - I was asleep before your final posts.....

Most dips are stressful to the fish - in essence, you are poisoning both the fish and the parasite, but are hoping to just kill the parasite. The trouble is, if the fish is very ill, they get poisoned by the dip as well. There is no way around this - if you don't use a dip, the fish will die as well. What you typically see is the fish looks worse right after the dip and then they gradually improve over a day's time. Of course, dips are not a 100% cure and multiple dips will be needed. Dipping and moving into a sterile tank is a bit more effective.

Jay

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most dips are stressful to the fish - in essence, you are poisoning both the fish and the parasite, but are hoping to just kill the parasite. The trouble is, if the fish is very ill, they get poisoned by the dip as well. There is no way around this - if you don't use a dip, the fish will die as well. What you typically see is the fish looks worse right after the dip and then they gradually improve over a day's time. Of course, dips are not a 100% cure and multiple dips will be needed. Dipping and moving into a sterile tank is a bit more effective.

Jay
Unfortunately he died overnight. I’m now holding the remaining clownfish in quarantine and will continue to do so for 6 weeks until I’m certain there is no more parasite in the tank or on my fish

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
This is where we are at with the second clownfish.

Breathing a little fast. Unsure if stressed from being in quarantine.

Abrasians on her face I assume are from when she was smacking into my anemone and getting it to host her

she looks lighter in colour than she is because I’m using a flashlight, she actually looks very dark in person

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on my phone through the day today, and couldn't view your video. I was able to download it tonight on my desktop. It's breathing a bit fast, but not critically so. Is it still eating?

Jay

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on my phone through the day today, and couldn't view your video. I was able to download it tonight on my desktop. It's breathing a bit fast, but not critically so. Is it still eating?

Jay
The clownfish we were originally treating has died unfortunately overnight. Pulled him out this morning his body was very very pale, lots of slime.

This clownfish in the video I treated based on feedback that I should probably treat both since they spent a short time in the main display together. She was breathing fast as you can see in the video.

I fed her an hour ago, she ate like a pig. She must have eaten 15 pellets or so before she lost interest so I stopped.

I just went to video her now, and I believe this part could be quite crucial (sorry about the bits of food I’m about to clean them out)

But is that…. A worm looking creature of some kind she tries to eat and spits back out?!

I’m about to move her to a new sterile larger quarantine tank for a more long term stay

Back