OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read through all these pages, but from your initial post you have surface debris.

You need more flow and flow that will agitate the surface. That won't fix the slime on the surface, but a good protein skimmer will.

Nitrates, what test are you using? Any filter media like Marine Pure balls or Brightwell media? Too much media will lower nitrates to 0. So if you want them to come up, you'll need to remove about half if the media and see how that works.
Not sure where you saw surface debris but I dont have any or skum. I have plenty of surface agitation and flow. MP10 on about 20% makes everything move well. When I do maintenance I bump it to 40% to really get stuff up and out.

No bio media or skimmer, just floss. I tried bio media at one point but realized I didn't need it and removed it.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kicking up detritus/organics in high o2 another thing that can do it. @Chlorinated This why I ask earlier what sps you have. May be don't even need as much carbon. All I really see is gorgonian on left and maybe something top middle. Got to starve these bacteria. Maybe start to cycle a small few bits of rock in a bucket with aob, and nob bacteria only. Stick them in available space. This may be shift the balance.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kicking up detritus/organics in high o2 another thing that can do it. @Chlorinated This why I ask earlier what sps you have. May be don't even need as much carbon. All I really see is gorgonian on left and maybe something top middle. Got to starve these bacteria. Maybe start to cycle a small few bits of rock in a bucket with aob, and nob bacteria only. Stick them in available space. This may be shift the balance.
So you believe me basting all the organics I to the water is causing the blooms?

I have 2 digis, small monte songodes and an entrusting sunset monte. Gorg in the back corner, hammer, trumpet, 2 toadstool, finger, sinularia and big Duncan.

You think seeding some rock with bacteria may help? May try it. Easy enough.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria imbalance, high organics/02, turkey baster the rocks, siphon /stir stuff up, dosing meds/vodka, food. All those can contribute to their growth. I think that could help, or the dreaded dose bottles to tank. The idea would be to remove most of their food source first, other wise they outcompete aob, and nob.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria imbalance, high organics/02, turkey baster the rocks, siphon /stir stuff up, dosing meds/vodka, food. All those can contribute to their growth. I think that could help, or the dreaded dose bottles to tank. The idea would be to remove most of their food source first, other wise they outcompete aob, and nob.
Yes, agreed. I need to find a way yo out compete this crazy bacteria. A big clean always helps to reset things for a bit. Maybe that followed by dosing some nitrates and MB7?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, agreed. I need to find a way yo out compete this crazy bacteria. A big clean always helps to reset things for a bit. Maybe that followed by dosing some nitrates and MB7?
I'm not going to harp on any bacteria brand, but 7 has heterotropic bacteria. Use something else like api, or dr tims with only nitrifying bacteria.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to harp on any bacteria brand, but 7 has heterotropic bacteria. Use something else like api, or dr tims with only nitrifying bacteria.
I didn't know MB7 had heterotropic. How do you know others don't? They don't usually list what's inside so it's a big guessing game.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use a gravel vac...not enough room between rocks and coral to get much.

I use a baster and blow down in the sand to mix it all up and get it I ot the water column. I then turn my pumps up a few notches for a bit to move it all to the filters. Some resettles obviously but a lot ends up in the floss which I then chnage out.
I don’t know if o would be comfortable blowing the sand to stir up everything ..

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if o would be comfortable blowing the sand to stir up everything ..
I would use a vacation but no room. Could be part of my problem though.maybe small portions at a time so as to not upset the balance.

Tank isn't big enough for a conch or I would get one Becki know they do great at keeping things turned over. Maybe invest in an army of Nass snails lol.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure where you saw surface debris but I dont have any or skum. I have plenty of surface agitation and flow. MP10 on about 20% makes everything move well. When I do maintenance I bump it to 40% to really get stuff up and out.

No bio media or skimmer, just floss. I tried bio media at one point but realized I didn't need it and removed it.

I saw this part:

"For the last year or so I have been getting on and off bacterial blooms. Not the traditional type where the water is clouded, but a version that coats my glass and filters clogging everything up. My filter floss will fully clog in hours with this clear gel like slime, my reactor for GAC clogs and stops running. Corals seem largely unaffected, but filtration wise it's a nightmare."

It's the same thing. You have a lot of softies and they put off a lot of toxins. You're not doing yourself any favors by not running a skimmer. You're getting bacterial blooms because you don't have sufficient bio media. You overload the system and it tries to catch up, but it can't.

You said you tried bio-media and didn't need it. Well, it sounds like you do.

I had a similar situation, but the top water film like I spoke of. A skimmer quickly took care of that.

Best of luck, sure you will get it under control.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this part:

"For the last year or so I have been getting on and off bacterial blooms. Not the traditional type where the water is clouded, but a version that coats my glass and filters clogging everything up. My filter floss will fully clog in hours with this clear gel like slime, my reactor for GAC clogs and stops running. Corals seem largely unaffected, but filtration wise it's a nightmare."

It's the same thing. You have a lot of softies and they put off a lot of toxins. You're not doing yourself any favors by not running a skimmer. You're getting bacterial blooms because you don't have sufficient bio media. You overload the system and it tries to catch up, but it can't.

I had a similar situation, but the top water film like I spoke of. A skimmer quickly took care of that.

So you think a skimmer will clear it up? The bio media I felt dropped down my nutrients to the point I couldn't detect them. I wanted nutrients so I removed it...slowly, but removed it and still can't get nitrates to show. I feel dding it back would bottom out everything g which could lead to more issues.

I'm open to a skimmer, but the options for my tank are limited to say the least....

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this part:

Also, if you think toxins could be the issue from the leathers, could simply increasing the amount of GAC I run be an easy fix? I run about 3 tablespoons of Seachem Marrix Carbon in my reactor and change about every 2 weeks.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In some cases, yes, skimmer will help, but some strains multiply to fast for skimmer, uv with fast flow trough will clear things faster, if not better.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, if you think toxins could be the issue from the leathers, could simply increasing the amount of GAC I run be an easy fix? I run about 3 tablespoons of Seachem Marrix Carbon in my reactor and change about every 2 weeks.
Hey Chlorinated,

Yes, carbon can filter out the toxins. I think the answer to your issues is a good skimmer. What are the measurements of your tank? I have a 40 cube AIO with this Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 on the back where the chambers are. Be glad to help anyway I can and help you choose a skimmer too. Feel free to post or PM me.

20211116_172743.jpg

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run phosguard the phosphates would come down to 0. Maybe return nitrate phosphate balance? Not sure exactly what is suppose to be but seems odd you have no nitrates with that phosphate level. My nitrates and phosphates are both 0, can’t seem to raise either.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chlorinated,

Yes, carbon can filter out the toxins. I think the answer to your issues is a good skimmer. What are the measurements of your tank? I have a 40 cube AIO with this Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 on the back where the chambers are. Be glad to help anyway I can and help you choose a skimmer too. Feel free to post or PM me.

20211116_172743.jpg
I appreciate the help. I know carbon can help. Was just curious if you felt I should run more.

I can look into a skimmer when I get some funds. After Xmas maybe. I don't have the dimensions off hand, I'll have to find the manual, but it's an IM nuvo 20.

Options are pretty limited to IM skimmer and Icecap K1 I believe. All others need crazy mods. All had bleh reviews though which is what held me back from buying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run phosguard the phosphates would come down to 0. Maybe return nitrate phosphate balance? Not sure exactly what is suppose to be but seems odd you have no nitrates with that phosphate level. My nitrates and phosphates are both 0, can’t seem to raise either.
I thought about it, but I'm worried driving both to 0 will have negative effects. I would rather raise nitrates in the hopes of reestablishing a balance then dropping phosphate

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I thought about it, but I'm worried driving both to 0 will have negative effects. I would rather raise nitrates in the hopes of reestablishing a balance then dropping phosphate
That's a fairly common problem in nanos with AIO. Phosphates are hard to get rid of. I dose Brightwell NeoNitro for Nitrates and the corals love it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back