I could just cry.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went down to check on my reef at lunch, and found my coral beauty stuck in my powerhead and dead. I had added 2 old school powerheads a couple of weeks ago to put flow down the sides of my 92 corner. Everything had been great until today. I could just cry. I've turned both old school powerheads off so I don't risk any more fish getting stuck on them.

I really want to get rid of these powerheads, any recommendation on good yet inexpensive powerheads/wavemakers? Currently I have 2 hydors and the 2 Maxijet type powerheads. While the Maxijet type are the problem, I probably need to replace all 4.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went down to check on my reef at lunch, and found my coral beauty stuck in my powerhead and dead. I had added 2 old school powerheads a couple of weeks ago to put flow down the sides of my 92 corner. Everything had been great until today. I could just cry. I've turned both old school powerheads off so I don't risk any more fish getting stuck on them.

I really want to get rid of these powerheads, any recommendation on good yet inexpensive powerheads/wavemakers? Currently I have 2 hydors and the 2 Maxijet type powerheads. While the Maxijet type are the problem, I probably need to replace all 4.
The powerheads likely had nothing to do with the fish death

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re the powerheads rusted at all? Also I’m not sure if it was the powerheads likely something else. I’m sorry to hear it’s never easy losing a fish.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can feel your pain. I skimmed my way to zero nitrates and zero phosphate couple weeks ago. Dinos took over and now im watching the. stress some of my frags so bad that the polyps are just peeling off. Just gotta step back and take a breath sometimes.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are generally strong enough to swim from any power head if they’re not sick .
Moving forward .
Jeabo makes really good and affordable wave makers .

they are becoming easier to find in lfs’s and some will also include a warranty now .

fish street is one website ,

I believe Amazon also sells them

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re the powerheads rusted at all? Also I’m not sure if it was the powerheads likely something else. I’m sorry to hear it’s never easy losing a fish.
Not that I know of.

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these the Jaebo's you would recommend? Would you do 2 or 4 in my corner?

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Has happened to me with sick fish. Bottom line, it's not your fault.
Thanks. Still hurts though. He/She was probably 5+ years old. Don't know the true age, but prior owner said it was not one of the newest fish (and they are 2+ years old). Just want to do my best to make sure my crew dies healthy, happy, and old. :D

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1- I would guess power head didn’t cause the death unfortunately. I’m sorry for your coral beauty- I had a similar situation- my 6 year old coral beauty just died out of the blue about a year ago. All other fish were fine and have been fine for about a year now. There was no new additions or any changes. Never could figure out why. No signs of illness, and the day before she was active and acting normal.

for cheap power heads- I like the jebao ones- also the current USA is not so bad. Can usually find good used ones too. If you can get more funds together - a used MP10 would be great. The size and room it takes up inside the tank compared to the flow you can get out of it is awesome.
You can buy an older version (white controller) and when funds allow upgrade the controller to a quiet controller and maybe even a mobius chip. But the old ones with white controllers do work great!

I got a two old ones for $100- got two NEW controllers and mobius chips for about $200- so for the cost of one new I got two that work flawlessly. I’m sure if I shopped around I could have saved a few more bucks. And if you don’t want the quiet drive and mobius: they still work great!
Good luck my friend and happy reefing!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back