I did it! I bought the tank.. now I need advice!

noodle5673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted on here a few days ago about if I should get this tank...
Complete Saltwater setup with Fish/everything!
So (knowing those fish are too large and just...wrong) I told the guy I wanted the tank and everything in it and all the supplies and accessories for $400, and he could sell the fish because I did not want them. He said someone had came by earlier that day and actually was only interested in the fish so that would be fine. I went and looked at it and agreed to buy. I will be picking it up next week, after my stand for it comes in.
I just wanted to know if you all had any suggestions for me for this tank, as a beginner. So far I have purchased the following items to also have when it arrives:
RO Buddie 50 gallon three stage reverse osmosis, as well as tubing, faucet adapter, and teflon tape in case of leaks
Instant Ocean Sea Salt 160 gallon (took in to consideration future water changes)
50 gallon protein skimmer
API Saltwater Testing Kit
EcoPlus 2 outlet air pump 126 GPH

Is there any thing else you guys would suggest for a beginner to have? If you see the description on craigslist, the sand/live rock/filter/refractometer and everything I am already getting with it. The guy said he was giving me water conditioner too, which I thought was weird because I didn't know you needed that with reverse osmosis water... but he's keeping all those fish alive so i don't know..

But back to the point... Any suggestions of things I might need in addition to what I already have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need an air pump for anything.
What type of protein skimmer is it?
Your going to need water movement rated up to at least 400gph, I'd go at least 600gph on the minimum side of things, 2 300gph powerheads or higher.
The rock is fine, sand is fine, just make sure you rinse the sand out really well before using it again.
Getting a Refractometer with it? Don't use a Hydormeter
Saltwater test kit included?
Heater?

OP
OP
N

noodle5673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The protein skimmer needs the pump. the powerheads, refractometer, and heater is included (see the ad, and my list), and i also listed that I got an API saltwater test kit. I'm assuming his powerheads (he has two) are rated a sufficient gph, since he has kept everything alive for 2+ years so far. But I can ask him just to double check. And he is keeping the sand in the bottom with some water when I pick it up, and i have an aqueon siphon vacuum, should i stir up the sand and vacuum the debris, is that how you clean sand? or do I need to put it in a bucket and rinse it, with what kind of water? RO water?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be looking for a new skimmer then, that thing isn't going to help you much.
If you don't remove the sand and clean it out really well, it will cycle your tank once you've set it up, with all the trapped debre. you can just rinse it out using the garden hose.
If you clean it, put it back and don't let the live rock dry out, your tank will mini cycle, but it will only be a couple of days, then your all set.

OP
OP
N

noodle5673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, the live rock is going to be in separate buckets with water for transport too. The powerheads he has are 240 and 400, i just asked. Maybe i should get a really strong one? are air driven counter-current skimmers not sufficient?

OP
OP
N

noodle5673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, since his tank had fish, and I am getting it sans-fish, will this mess up the cycle, like in a freshwater tank? Or is that only when you add fish, not if you take them away? How soon should I add new fish? Should I let it run for awhile and make sure the levels stay good or should I add new fish quickly to keep the bio-load the same? Or should I treat it as new, and add fish slowly

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If, provided the Live Rock doesn't dry out, this is where the majority of your biological bacteria resides, and will thus clean the tank up right quick, and keep that mini cycle to only a few days. Using the rinsed out sand. Once you've got the tank set up and water in it, you can add the fish after about 3 days, the Live Rock will keep your tank from a full blown cycle.
Yea, pretty much the air driven stuff kinda doesn't work well at all. Being that it is a 40g tank, I'd strongly recommend a skimmer. Reef Octopus HB1000 or an Aquamaxx HOB-1

OP
OP
N

noodle5673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Also, When I get everything to my house I'll only have 10 gallons of heated, treated water prepared to go into the tank... and i will have to dump it in to have the buckets to make more... are kenya trees and Tube anemone sensitive to temperature changes (if so i'll have to wait until the water heats up every time before I can dump it in)... what might be the easiest way to go about filling the tank

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, fellow Indiana reefer!

I agree with the previous posts, and it sounds like you are well on your way here.

I have filled tanks by transporting water in buckets from tank purchases, and also large rubbermaid bins. You can boil water to warm water up as necessary, as well. I did this this morning for a water change because my heater in my mixing container died overnight.

You should also join Indmas (indiana marine society) forum (indmas.org), and add them on facebook as well as central indiana saltwater enthusiast, northern indiana saltwater enthusiast, etc on facebook as well. There's another group called "coral reef geeks" that I use as well.

Welcome!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back