NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8BF7F8BD-C35F-441F-9A31-1F49F94CD85E.jpeg
E343F94D-DE5D-4195-9C04-F347D27BB3E8.jpeg
Yesterday I dipped a brain Coral, wall hammer and a blastomusa. All of them are happy this morning

I’ve never mixed bayer before and I needed to make sure it was a strong enough mix to kill flatworms because so far that’s the worst hitchhiker I’ve had.

So I dipped my wall hammer since he’s been so stressed out since I noticed flatworms on his flesh. My hammer Coral is really sensitive to any change in movement in the tank or if any crabs or snail touch it.

10%bayer to water worked for 10 minutes against all the pest I could see and some I didn’t see.

Originally I mixed 15ml of bayer to every 1/2 cup of water. (This is the highest recommended dosage I’ve found and only by one other reefer on here)

And the wall hammer survived a ten minute bath of that but did release some slime and was stressed for 2hours afterwards
My method has been tweeked since and down to 10% or 12ml to every half cup or in my case 100ml to 4cups close enough for me.
10-15 minutes your call and I’ll tell you why.
In an earlyr case I took flatworms directly out of my tank and into a small container and introduced 10 percent bayer to the water. In 3 minutes the flatworms were no longer able to hold on to the surface of the container and at 5 minutes the signs of stress started to fade as the flatworms started to die and at ten minutes I removed the dirty water and placed clean tank water. I wanted to see if the buggers would show me signs of life so i continued to observe first for 5 min straight no movement I then took a picture and walked off and after 15 even after a half hour, these guys were goners they’re body has gone from round to somewhat stretched and rolled or pinched together

I dipped the brain and blasto for 15 min and it worked exceptionally well with my brain coral with no signs of stress from the dip process
The blastos did take a few hours to come out of its stress but he tiny and had a harder time being shipped (bag got cold)
And i did dip them together turkey basting indirectly with 3 containers to rinse. total rinse time 20-30 min

Here’s after the first ten minutes
445B6560-3D01-4D1F-8A35-42CFF36C2EB5.jpeg

Here is 15 min after adding fresh tank water
image.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice writeup. I dip 15 ml of Bayer to 10 0z of tank water for 15 min, and two each dips in clean tank water for 15 min. each. Seems to work well.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice writeup. I dip 15 ml of Bayer to 10 0z of tank water for 15 min, and two each dips in clean tank water for 15 min. each. Seems to work well.
Thanks man. Now you have me curious because i haven’t gone below a 10% mix and your dosage is 5%

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try using a smaller dose. I have plenty of flatworms on the glass that are easily harvested. It will definitely help me save on bayer if I could make an effective dip lower then 10% bayer to water

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try using a smaller dose. I have plenty of flatworms on the glass that are easily harvested. It will definitely help me save on bayer if I could make an effective dip lower then 10% bayer to water
Would love to get your feedback on the mix. :)

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using 4oz bayer to 64 fluid ouncess of water for 10 minutes.
That 118.28ml for 64 floz or 1182.28ml bayer for 1892.48ml water or 6.25% ish..... BRS has a video where they recomend about 4.2%

This is just what i have been using and all of my corals have been fine with no ill effects so far. This is just basic LPS. My friend has done some SPS with this same ratio and also has had no ill effects.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using 4oz bayer to 64 fluid ouncess of water for 10 minutes.
That 118.28ml for 64 floz or 1182.28ml bayer for 1892.48ml water or 6.25% ish..... BRS has a video where they recomend about 4.2%

This is just what i have been using and all of my corals have been fine with no ill effects so far. This is just basic LPS. My friend has done some SPS with this same ratio and also has had no ill effects.
Awesome man thank you for the input

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you can put these in Bayer for 15min then in freshwater for another 10? No saltwater? So 25min out of a saltwater environment does not kill these corals? Seems like it would... Can you do it on crabs?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you can put these in Bayer for 15min then in freshwater for another 10? No saltwater? So 25min out of a saltwater environment does not kill these corals? Seems like it would... Can you do it on crabs?
Saltwater. Crabs and other inverts like shrimp, snails are best placed in a "fishless" quarantine tank for 76 days to starve out Ich, velvet, and other fish diseases.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater. Crabs and other inverts like shrimp, snails are best placed in a "fishless" quarantine tank for 76 days to starve out Ich, velvet, and other fish diseases.

Is that the only thing I should quarantine? Is it hard to set up a quarantine tank?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the only thing I should quarantine? Is it hard to set up a quarantine tank?
Fish have their own QT; corals, inverts, snails have their own QT.
10 gallon tank with the following: HOB filter, heater, foam in tank filter, thermometer, Seachem ammonia alert badge ( chemical ammonia tests do not work if you have copper meds in the tank water).

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater is the surest way to kill corals. Corals can usually handle quite a long time out of water as many of them are used to it on ultra low tide days, even in the scorching sun. What they can't handle is the osmotic pressure of freshwater rushing into their bodies, just not a good idea.

A single dip won't be completely effective, quaratine or at least multiple dips a few days or a week apart will be the most effective. I dip everything in bayer, very heavy; but some montipora eating nudibranchs came through and only with multiple dips, every week was I able to eradicate them.

Also Bayer isn't going to take care of nuissance algae or hydroids (aptasia). Toothbrush and maybe peroxide on the rock/skeleton can help with those.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 72 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back