I don’t know what’s going on with my tank PLEASE HELP!!

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly 1 week after a cleaning. I have been having soemthing going on the purple hammers in front have been closed for awhile now and my green hammer will fully extended but you can tell it’s not the best and same with my other hammers. I went down to my LFS and got my water tested found a had a little high salinity ( couple other ones are slightly off too will post water parameters ) so I put in a 1/2 gallon of fresh water and every 2 days was going to do that until put 2 gallons of fresh water according to my LFS to get my salinity back on track. So I went ahead last night out in my 1/2 gallon fresh water and woke up this morning devastated my royal gramma died lastnight very upsetting as first first or anything I’ve lost my tanks going through a rly gross dirty cycle currently approaching 5 months established. And any knowledge on what the black stuff that keeps forming over my rocks and how to clean it off find it impossible to clean. Very rough day I’d appreciate all the help thank you very much.

(Would getting a small quarantine tank work so nothing else dies or? ) thanks again!

image.jpg image.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep starting threads then not coming back after people respond for details. People are trying to help but need more info than what you have shared.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the post above and I took a Quick Look at your other threads. You have a lot going on at the moment and lots of people trying to help. Please be respectful by helping other people help you. For example, providing more information up front and responding to other folks when they reply.

Based on what I’m seeing in your threads, you have a heavy bio load. I would double check your parameters. What are you using to test?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems to be a lot of debris in the tank, or is it on the window? What kind of filtration are you running? I see only one powerhead, the tank can benefit from another, more flow is often more beneficial.

Honestly would suggest to get a salinity tester, this is saltwater hobby really need your own salt tester

OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems to be a lot of debris in the tank, or is it on the window? What kind of filtration are you running? I see only one powerhead, the tank can benefit from another, more flow is often more beneficial.

Honestly would suggest to get a salinity tester, this is saltwater hobby really need your own salt tester
We're all here to help you just hav
We're all here to help you just have to let us.
Sorry just get busy and forget I post sometimes

OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Running stock filtration and my parameters are in the post on a sticky note. And I have tried but with my tank being 13.5 any power head makes my stuff blow all over and makes me fish kinda get scared it looks.

OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the post above and I took a Quick Look at your other threads. You have a lot going on at the moment and lots of people trying to help. Please be respectful by helping other people help you. For example, providing more information up front and responding to other folks when they reply.

Based on what I’m seeing in your threads, you have a heavy bio load. I would double check your parameters. What are you using to test

Based on what I’m seeing in your threads, you have a heavy bio load. I would double check your parameters. What are you using to test?
Parameters posted above I use normal testers where you mix and wait for the color.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters posted above I use normal testers where you mix and wait for the color.
I'm not sure what those are.

Do you do water changes?
How do you "clean?"
Not familiar with the 13.5 setup but lots of people on here have them so enlighten me if you will.
Do you change filter pads?
Use rodi water?
What salt?
Water looks cloudy....
These are all great things to add to your post so we can help, which I'm dying to do but I don't know where to start..

OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you do water changes?
How do you "clean?"
Not familiar with the 13.5 setup but lots of people on here have them so enlighten me if you will.
Use rodi water?
What salt?
Water looks cloudy....
These are all great things to add to your post so we can help, which I'm dying to do but I don't know where to start..
I use premade saltwater just because it’s only a 13.5 gal tank and it’s not cloudy just had algae on the walls I’ll post a updated pic in a min I got it all cleaned up: I do weekly water changed abt 20-40% I’d say. I clean and change filter as needed. With my parameter I just don’t know what would have made my fish die and now just in worry for other fish. My fish sleep at the top of the tank why is that? I have top water irratiation any other reason why they could be?

OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you do water changes?
How do you "clean?"
Use rodi water?
What salt?
Water looks cloudy....
This is my updated water parameter that I can do from home I use api marine saltwater master kits. I do water changes weekly. Idk why my levels are so off I did a water change and added some prime condition to bring down the nitrite hopefully. As far as the nitrate and phosphate goes how can I get my levels back to normal sorry for being unresponsive need anhmore info just let me know ( all stock fluval 13.5 evo 3 fish , 1 conch , 2 blue hermit crabs , 5-6 snails ) thank you for all the help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use premade saltwater just because it’s only a 13.5 gal tank and it’s not cloudy just had algae on the walls I’ll post a updated pic in a min I got it all cleaned up: I do weekly water changed abt 20-40% I’d say. I clean and change filter as needed. With my parameter I just don’t know what would have made my fish die and now just in worry for other fish. My fish sleep at the top of the tank why is that? I have top water irratiation any other reason why they could be?
I got brightwell neo nitro to bring up my nitrates I just don’t know how to use being my tanks only 13.5 gal and can I dose with prime and nirates at the same time?

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe water movement and/or oxygenation is the key to your success here.
Vacuuming/disturbing the sand bed aggressively can also lead to toxic conditions in a tank that small so be careful if doing that.
Most of the api tests are hard to read and some just not very accurate.
Don't dose anything and don't use prime here it has no use.
Small tanks need small changes so go slow and monitor your creatures well being.
Get some quality test kits.
Do some small water changes to keep your parameters in line.
Keep it simple, get the tank in better shape using good,smart husbandry and then you can move to dosing.
Right now let's clean it up and keep it consistent.
Hopefully that helps.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, there is good advice there.

API tests are just for guiding, but not for success in the hobby.

You really need a powerhead in your tank ,trust me, the fish don't have trouble to swim in flow. Put a correct size powerhead in the tank and it won't be too much flow.

Stop dosing anything in your tank. Get better test kits before you make any changes, don't act based on API.

Buying water from the LFS is an issue, you don't know how often they clean or replace their filters. If you want long term success, need your own rodi machine and need to make your own salt.

"is only 13.5 gallon" doesn't matter, lots of us keep small nano tanks, in many ways, small tank is easier.

OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe water movement and/or oxygenation is the key to your success here.
Vacuuming/disturbing the sand bed aggressively can also lead to toxic conditions in a tank that small so be careful if doing that.
Most of the api tests are hard to read and some just not very accurate.
Don't dose anything and don't use prime here it has no use.
Small tanks need small changes so go slow and monitor your creatures well being.
Get some quality test kits.
Do some small water changes to keep your parameters in line.
Keep it simple, get the tank in better shape using good,smart husbandry and then you can move to dosing.
Right now let's clean it up and keep it consistent.
Hopefully that helps.
Thanks for the help I’ll be in touch

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back