I don’t know what’s wrong with my tank…

possumwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been deep in the hobby for several years now and I work at my local fish store. Even my coworkers and boss do not know what is wrong with my tank!

Parameters of tank- 0 ammonia, alk around 7 ish, nitrates almost 0, phosphates less than .1 (tested using salifert brand) *id like to mention that my tank usually has between 5-10 nitrates, i’ve done large water changes recently to try to fix my issues

Tank specifics- 15 gallon nano saltwater, reef containing softies, lps (including bubble, goniopora, and scolymia), one sps. Kessil light, I run chemi pure, occasionally throw in some filtration pads for nitrates and phosphates. I alternate between fritz and using up some instant ocean.

my problem:

It started out when I noticed that one of my fish (baby canary wrasse that was 1” - planned to upgrade her to another tank so shh) might have some internal parasites. I dosed prazi pro to my tank as an attempt to cure her. I assumed I caught it too late because she started laying on the sand, but would randomly park up and swim around. She was eating great, but breathing heavily. So after the 4 days of treatment, i opted to do one more dose as the bottle of prazi said. That night I noticed my other fish (possum wrasse) was breathing really hard. I did a small waterchange. When I woke up both fish were dead, floating on the surface.
So I ended up doing a 50% waterchange and cleaned everything up. As I was cleaning I found my pom pom crabs dead, which had previously been breeding frequently. My coral were looking ok, but ticked off from the waterchange. Fast forward a couple of days, I decided to test the tank by adding another fish. I assumed the change fixed my problems but apparently not because once I added the fish after acclimating, he started breathing rapidly. I decided to throw in some carbon filtration pads too. I figured he was stressed so I went to bed and when I woke up he was again lying on the sand breathing hard!! My coral aren’t extending as far either.

my thoughts:
I’m wondering if the salt i’m using is expired? or something got into my tank/bucket i store RODI in? i think im gonna get some poly filter to test this but…
if anyone has suggestions please help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome33.gif

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been deep in the hobby for several years now and I work at my local fish store. Even my coworkers and boss do not know what is wrong with my tank!

Parameters of tank- 0 ammonia, alk around 7 ish, nitrates almost 0, phosphates less than .1 (tested using salifert brand) *id like to mention that my tank usually has between 5-10 nitrates, i’ve done large water changes recently to try to fix my issues

Tank specifics- 15 gallon nano saltwater, reef containing softies, lps (including bubble, goniopora, and scolymia), one sps. Kessil light, I run chemi pure, occasionally throw in some filtration pads for nitrates and phosphates. I alternate between fritz and using up some instant ocean.

my problem:

It started out when I noticed that one of my fish (baby canary wrasse that was 1” - planned to upgrade her to another tank so shh) might have some internal parasites. I dosed prazi pro to my tank as an attempt to cure her. I assumed I caught it too late because she started laying on the sand, but would randomly park up and swim around. She was eating great, but breathing heavily. So after the 4 days of treatment, i opted to do one more dose as the bottle of prazi said. That night I noticed my other fish (possum wrasse) was breathing really hard. I did a small waterchange. When I woke up both fish were dead, floating on the surface.
So I ended up doing a 50% waterchange and cleaned everything up. As I was cleaning I found my pom pom crabs dead, which had previously been breeding frequently. My coral were looking ok, but ticked off from the waterchange. Fast forward a couple of days, I decided to test the tank by adding another fish. I assumed the change fixed my problems but apparently not because once I added the fish after acclimating, he started breathing rapidly. I decided to throw in some carbon filtration pads too. I figured he was stressed so I went to bed and when I woke up he was again lying on the sand breathing hard!! My coral aren’t extending as far either.

my thoughts:
I’m wondering if the salt i’m using is expired? or something got into my tank/bucket i store RODI in? i think im gonna get some poly filter to test this but…
You have pictures?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

my problem:

my thoughts:
Fritz salt has had problems in the past but has been long resolved unless you still have old batch. I am eyeing the prazi which seems all issues began with its addition. Prazi would not have resolved internal parasite but rather seachem metro to the foods at very tiny amounts
How far apart did you dose prazi and did you treat for full 15 gallons? If so, you have rock, fish and corals and your useable gallons were likely 11-12 gallons but moreso is the gylcol content (why corals were likely ticked) in prazi reduces appetite nd oxygen and additional oxygen should have been added for fish.
I suspect slight overdose of product.

OP
OP
P

possumwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz salt has had problems in the past but has been long resolved unless you still have old batch. I am eyeing the prazi which seems all issues began with its addition. Prazi would not have resolved internal parasite but rather seachem metro to the foods at very tiny amounts
How far apart did you dose prazi and did you treat for full 15 gallons? If so, you have rock, fish and corals and your useable gallons were likely 11-12 gallons but moreso is the gylcol content (why corals were likely ticked) in prazi reduces appetite nd oxygen and additional oxygen should have been added for fish.
I suspect slight overdose of product.
That’s what I was thinking at first, but I figured the large waterchange I did would have resolved those issues. I did slightly less than the full treatment the first time and 2/3 the amount the second time, 4 days after the first

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum - sorry it’s under these circumstances.
I was thinking the same as vetteguy - that prazi was overdosed, causing an oxygen deficiency problem.
What was the new fish and how was it acclimated?

OP
OP
P

possumwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum - sorry it’s under these circumstances.
I was thinking the same as vetteguy - that prazi was overdosed, causing an oxygen deficiency problem.
What was the new fish and how was it acclimated?
it was a juvenile filamented flasher wrasse. it was treated with a low dose of copper and I have been observing it for a while, it was super healthy and was eating great. i floated the fish in the bag for 30-45 mins, then i used a turkey baster and added three basters full of water every 5 minutes, 4 times

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

my problem:

my thoughts:
Did you happen to do any testing of the water - the fact that the crabs died, and some of the coral looks off - as well as the fish suggests a chemical issue. Of course - a disease is also possible - were the fish quarantined, etc etc? PS - by chemical I meant oxygen - vs - a chemical issue due to the death (i.e. ammonia)

OP
OP
P

possumwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you happen to do any testing of the water - the fact that the crabs died, and some of the coral looks off - as well as the fish suggests a chemical issue. Of course - a disease is also possible - were the fish quarantined, etc etc? PS - by chemical I meant oxygen - vs - a chemical issue due to the death (i.e. ammonia)
yes I personally tested the water myself at the store. the coral look especially bad in that pic because i had just finished a water change, but i agree something is off. im especially confused because of how largely whatevers in there is affecting the fish but the coral arent suffering terribly. the new fish was treated with a low dose of copper in the store, but because no fish remained in my tank i felt comfortable just putting him in. do you think polyfilter is a good idea to test for other contaminants?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes I personally tested the water myself at the store. the coral look especially bad in that pic because i had just finished a water change, but i agree something is off. im especially confused because of how largely whatevers in there is affecting the fish but the coral arent suffering terribly. the new fish was treated with a low dose of copper in the store, but because no fish remained in my tank i felt comfortable just putting him in. do you think polyfilter is a good idea to test for other contaminants?
What tests did you do? The key here is that the fish and the crabs were affected (assuming it's related). Do you have an ammonia, etc etc? Polyfilter IMHO is not going to hurt - but I don't think its a test

OP
OP
P

possumwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tests did you do? The key here is that the fish and the crabs were affected (assuming it's related). Do you have an ammonia, etc etc? Polyfilter IMHO is not going to hurt - but I don't think its a test
oh yes sorry, i did ammonia (0), nitrate (2-0), phosphate (less than .1), alkalinity (7 ish). i forgot nitrite. this was on saturday, but i will be headed into work today and i’ll test it all again lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh yes sorry, i did ammonia (0), nitrate (2-0), phosphate (less than .1), alkalinity (7 ish). i forgot nitrite. this was on saturday, but i will be headed into work today and i’ll test it all again lol
Based what you said - I would think perhaps as others have suggested it could be a prazipro OD. Since you've done a water change - unless you really did an overdose (a big one) - that should be taken care of. BTW - Praziquantel - is not an innocuous medication. It can be extremenly toxic. When you have more information - relate it - i.e. the fish are ... .the inverts are ... etc

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That’s what I was thinking at first, but I figured the large waterchange I did would have resolved those issues. I did slightly less than the full treatment the first time and 2/3 the amount the second time, 4 days after the first
If the prazi did its damage already which may have happened, water change would reduce concentration but not the damage assuming so.
The biggest issue is dosing each application too soon and in part NOT your fault as the directions are hard to determine. The Recommendation to be safe is to apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my problem:

my thoughts:

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Salt doesn't expire per-se, but it can absorb moisture and clump up. If this were purely a water quality issue, the corals would be more affected - water bad enough to kill fish would also kill corals. Some crustaceans do not handle large water changes well, I don't know specifically about pom pom crabs though.

The "test fish" - did it die? What species was it?

Jay

As with many aquarium issues, the losses may not all be related. Fish need to have really good aeration when you dose Prazipro, especially wrasses.

OP
OP
P

possumwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Salt doesn't expire per-se, but it can absorb moisture and clump up. If this were purely a water quality issue, the corals would be more affected - water bad enough to kill fish would also kill corals. Some crustaceans do not handle large water changes well, I don't know specifically about pom pom crabs though.

The "test fish" - did it die? What species was it?

Jay

As with many aquarium issues, the losses may not all be related. Fish need to have really good aeration when you dose Prazipro, especially wrasses.
it was a juvenile filamented flasher, but it was after i did the 50% waterchange. it did not die but it was well on its way out, unfortunately i had to leave it 6 hours ago. i transferred it to a bucket of fresh salt water as a last attempt

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back