0   0   0
How many fish and what size are they?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to diagnose. The only thing I can come up with is ammonia poisoning. I realize your ammonia level was zero, but it will always be zero because ammonia gets converted very fast by bacteria.

The tank is large enough so that should not be the cause but it is a very new tank and ammonia poisoning causes the fish to die with their mouth wide open although I can't tell by the picture if that is the case. That is usually the case in a new tank because even though you cycled the tank
that only means the tank has the capacity to remove ammonia from whatever you cycled the tank with and nothing more. Any new fish added would need time to build up enough bacteria.
Not days but possibly months in such a new tank.

A tank continually "cycles" through the life of the tank with the bacteria reproducing and waning as the organic load varies.

Of course this is a guess as I can't see your tank from here but if the rest of your fish are still fine, that is my "guess" for now.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ammonia is zero it wouldnt be ammonia that caused. Even slightly elevated as people dose ammonia to increase for food and to have hiigher nitrates. As @Paul B stated, the nitrogen is always a constant process. Where do you get your water? Is it tap, RO/DI, from the LFS? This has sometimes been the culprit.

Wrasses are also known to hide in the sand bed to adjust. Some times for a few days. They may come out once in a while. You stated you saw lessions. This would point either a disease or injury. Injury caused by the wrasse running into something, or something got a hold of it. What other critters do you have and where was live rock from?

These are just guesses on my part but will help others who know more about fish issues and diseases.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would agree I def do not think it was ammonia poisoning. It’s not live rock it all started dry but 3 of my rocks were a transfer from my previous tank. I make my own rodi water. I have 2 clownfish and a chalk bass and none of them are overly aggressive my clowns don’t even bicker with each other much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back