I don’t know what I’m doing wrong!

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been through 2 melanarus wrasse now each one dying within about a week. All my tank parameters are perfect I shouldn’t be losing fish the only thing I can come to at this point is that my sand bed may not be deep enough. I have 3 other fish currently that are fine and have been fine for 2 months now. Any suggestions I would really like to finally get a healthy one!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been through 2 melanarus wrasse now each one dying within about a week. All my tank parameters are perfect I shouldn’t be losing fish the only thing I can come to at this point is that my sand bed may not be deep enough. I have 3 other fish currently that are fine and have been fine for 2 months now. Any suggestions I would really like to finally get a healthy one!
I'm sorry to be that guy, but posting parameters are perfect with no information really? You have to be more specific.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On February 4th you posted about having a Uronema outbreak in your tank, is this that same tank....?
yes it was but I waited a while before adding a new fish and it doesn’t seem like he got uronema. Also I did a lot of research about uronema and you don’t have to nuke your tank to add more fish you just have to reduce stress when adding new fish which I tried to do but maybe I need to wait a little longer.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to be that guy, but posting parameters are perfect with no information really? You have to be more specific.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate:0
Phosphate: 0.10
ph:8
Calcium: 420
Alk: 10
Salinity: 1.023

I just tested yesterday I believe nitrate is undetectable rn because I have a decent amount of hair algae currently.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is a ubiquitous protozoan, it can be found in most mature marine aquariums. Normally, it feeds on bacteria. The longer an aquarium is established, the more common it is to find it. Some sampling of newer aquariums has shown a presence of 25% and higher. Older aquariums get closer to hitting 100%

It is the inter-cellular form that is the killer of newly acquired fish. Nobody knows how these infections get started, but it is something in the supply chain. Despite what you will read - there is NO treatment for the inter-cellular form. By the time you see the external lesion from this, the internal damage is already fatally injured the fish. While many fish in a group may show this issue, I've only seen it spread to other, long term captives once.

I did some work that shows that chloroquine works to reduce/elminate the free living form, but to what benefit?

The observational quarantine may have let some other issues get through, but Uronema really isn't a concern.

Here is an article I wrote about a decade ago, when I was experimenting with chloroquine, and then updated it here:

Jay
This is from an older thread when I was trying to figure out what to do ab the uronema.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a picture of him after he has passed. Could uronema but I’m not sure I saw what it looked like on my chromis and it doesn’t look like that.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 43

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the picture.
Usually pictures of fish after they pass, can't be used to help diagnose. The fish starts to decay almost immediately after passing. It's still helpful, but usually you can't diagnose with pictures of dead fish, but there still could be signs that he died from Uronema.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters or depth of the gravel won't kill your fish. Unfortunately it is impossible to know what killed your fish from here with that amount of information.

How did they look before they died? Did they die with their mouth agape? Were they swimming erratically?
Were they eating? What were they eating? What do you feed? How did you acclimate? Is there any medications in the water? Did you ever use medications, How old is the tank and what kind of water do you use? What do the other fish look like? etc. :cool:

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters or depth of the gravel won't kill your fish. Unfortunately it is impossible to know what killed your fish from here with that amount of information.

How did they look before they died? Did they die with their mouth agape? Were they swimming erratically?
Were they eating? What were they eating? What do you feed? How did you acclimate? Is there any medications in the water? Did you ever use medications, How old is the tank and what kind of water do you use? What do the other fish look like? etc. :cool:
lol he looked like he may have had some injuries before passing the day before he passed he was hiding under the sand the entire day except for 10 min which he was swimming towards the back wall and heavy breathing. When I found him dead today his mouth was open and had a lesion on him. No medication in the tank whatsoever. He was eating for ab 4 days frozen mysis. My tank is 2 months old. I use rodi water and the coral pro salt. My other fish look fine no problems no weird behavior and eat very good everyday for the passed 2 months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back