I don't recall buying this guy.....

  • Thread starter Thread starter gencarson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

gencarson

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 17, 2017
Messages
29
Reaction score
50
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ID help? Gorilla?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tnUqI4yEJwOxufYi1

He seems to have hitched a ride inside a chunk of rock I adopted that had quite the assortment of LPS glued to it. Got it from a personal acquaintance so I'm not bent about it, even if it is a Gorilla. I dipped the rock for a good amount of time, but I suspect I could have dipped it in battery acid and purell and he still wouldn't have given a ****. Other than this freeloader, it was a great addition.

It took almost a month for me to notice him.
 
Hairy crabs and or crabs with red eyes are bad news. Emeralds excluded. Hard to say what this is. If it were me I'd try and remove it but if you can't get him out it's not the end of the world. When I moved last year I was still pulling crabs out of my live rock that I've had for 10 years.
 
The hole in the rock he lives in is no bigger than a 1/4" in diameter, and fairly deep. It would be pretty easy to put a trap in since it is a 1 way-in 1 way-out hole. It is a very very new tank (2 months), with nothing of insane value inside it, so I am sort of thinking about just watching and seeing how it integrates and if he plays nice, I guess he can stay. If not.... Well.... No need to elaborate.
 
I didn't see the big, dark tipped claws of a gorilla. I'd keep an eye on it and see if it bothers any corals. [Emeralds will sometimes start eating corals]. I have at least one big emerald that is hairy and hasn't bothered anything yet.
 
Will do.

I'm going to hatch a plan to get him out into the open so I can get a better view. I have a call into David Attenborough's office to see if they're available.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new