I euthanized an Ick bomb and its working now.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had added a healthy Naso Elegans and Ick came and ravaged most of my favorites. The Naso lived. After a good wait I added fish and bang, the Naso turned black and another disaster. Removed and euthanized the Naso after much thought. Took it to the fish doctor. His opinion is the fish was weakened from copper treatments and a chronic carrier. Have added two tangs and no more ick. No I am also running a 55w UV from aqua medic and maybe that helps too. Anyway, I'm glad to have healthy fsh again. I lose sleep when the aquarium is out of whack.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had added a healthy Naso Elegans and Ick came and ravaged most of my favorites. The Naso lived. After a good wait I added fish and bang, the Naso turned black and another disaster. Removed and euthanized the Naso after much thought. Took it to the fish doctor. His opinion is the fish was weakened from copper treatments and a chronic carrier. Have added two tangs and no more ick. No I am also running a 55w UV from aqua medic and maybe that helps too. Anyway, I'm glad to have healthy fsh again. I lose sleep when the aquarium is out of whack.
Copper and carbon generally have an effect on many tangs

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that you had ich in your tank and to prevent further outbreaks from spreading to other fish that you euthanized the healthy naso?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still have ick. You’re just managing it with uv. Low stress and diet helps too
Ick has a life cycle. You only see the dots on fish at one point of life cycle. If each time the dots happen, they happen worse, you’re loosing the ich management battle

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that you had ich in your tank and to prevent further outbreaks from spreading to other fish that you euthanized the healthy naso?

No, it only appeared healthy at first, then it turned black and stayed black. It came looking healthy but it wasn't. It was patient zero. Is carbon still an issue or is it proper rinsing and the fines? I run carbon but I cannot put the two together because I only started the carbon recently.

I have another Naso, a nice larger one that will not eat any of my offerings. Stomach is getting pinched. Prognosis is not good for it. If a food is available at one of the stores that I shop I have probably tried it.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many fish change color or shades. Ime naso gets darker when angry or afraid

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still have ick. You’re just managing it with uv. Low stress and diet helps too
Ick has a life cycle. You only see the dots on fish at one point of life cycle. If each time the dots happen, they happen worse, you’re loosing the ich management battle
It's been my understanding that once you go through a life cycle or two without an outbreak, the ich will die off since they have no hosts to complete their cycle.

That said, I've been of the mind, backed by experience, that keeping a fish healthy by being well fed is the first best way to treat an outbreak. IMO, bouncing a fish around to QT just stresses it out more, and also stresses the other fish in the tank also, leading to further spread.

Just my two cents.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and management is OK. All of the fish are clean and shiny.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many fish change color or shades. Ime naso gets darker when angry or afraid
Yes they do, but not permanently like this one did. You would not have recognized it as an Elegans. It looked like a perch.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been my understanding that once you go through a life cycle or two without an outbreak, the ich will die off since they have no hosts to complete their cycle.

That said, I've been of the mind, backed by experience, that keeping a fish healthy by being well fed is the first best way to treat an outbreak. IMO, bouncing a fish around to QT just stresses it out more, and also stresses the other fish in the tank also, leading to further spread.

Just my two cents.
Agreed. Stopped treating aside from good diet, uv, low stress about 10 years ago. Haven’t lost a fish to ick since.
Wouod also say that just because you don’t see it for two cycle’s doesn’t mean you don’t have ick. I go through a year sometimes, with no signs, no new additions, and it creeps back a lil sometimes

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Just my two cents.
The 'once you go through a life-cycle or 2 the ich will die off is not true (at least not completely true). You can have asymptomatic ich that is infecting the fish periodically at a very low level - or in sites that you can't see (gills, etc). The fish can also develop partial immunity - which prevents severe disease - but not 'infection'. The Ich is still in the tank.

Now - there was a study or 2 that suggested that after 10-11 cycles - when no further fish had been put in the tank - that the ich 'dies out'. Additionally - I think that during attempts to design a process where ich could be cultivated in a lab - they found that after 10-11 cycles - the strains tended to die out.

I was going to try to avoid the 'feed the fish and it will avoid problems' - and I'm not trying to debate you. My 2 cents for others that might be reading this is - a well-fed fish is going to do better with disease than a starving fish. And - ich is generally a milder parasite - that many fish can get through - BUT - there is certainly mortality whether the fish is well fed or not. With other diseases - (which are also observed/treated for in QT) - many of these are more virulent and require treatment - again - whether well fed or not. IMHO - this is going to become increasingly a problem as fish are aquaculture - and likely have 0 immunity to parasites.

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'once you go through a life-cycle or 2 the ich will die off is not true (at least not completely true). You can have asymptomatic ich that is infecting the fish periodically at a very low level - or in sites that you can't see (gills, etc). The fish can also develop partial immunity - which prevents severe disease - but not 'infection'. The Ich is still in the tank.
Point taken, but it's still highly survivable if the animal isn't completely stressed out. And I'm of the mind that removing a fish from the tank and putting into QT does as much - possibly more - harm than good. I'm even skeptical of putting a new fish into QT and medicating, but that's what science and research are all about.

I was going to try to avoid the 'feed the fish and it will avoid problems' - and I'm not trying to debate you. My 2 cents for others that might be reading this is - a well-fed fish is going to do better with disease than a starving fish. And - ich is generally a milder parasite - that many fish can get through...
Pretty much my point.

With other diseases - (which are also observed/treated for in QT) - many of these are more virulent and require treatment - again - whether well fed or not. IMHO - this is going to become increasingly a problem as fish are aquaculture - and likely have 0 immunity to parasites.
Just talking about ich here, those other conditions are above my pay grade. ;-)

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at all the fish with my binoculars and they are clean, never better. I will be interested to see if the UV has a positive effect on algae too.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just talking about ich here, those other conditions are above my pay grade. ;-)

Right - I know they are different than ich - BUT - the medicated QT protocol also treats those diseases. I would strongly suggest for your own progression in the hobby - that you learn about at least 'marine velvet' and 'flukes'. Of course there are several other issues - that you can learn about over time. Welcome to R2R BTW

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at all the fish with my binoculars and they are clean, never better. I will be interested to see if the UV has a positive effect on algae too.
What size is tank?
How long is it up and running?
What , how many fish?
What are you feeding?

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - I know they are different than ich - BUT - the medicated QT protocol also treats those diseases. I would strongly suggest for your own progression in the hobby - that you learn about at least 'marine velvet' and 'flukes'. Of course there are several other issues - that you can learn about over time. Welcome to R2R BTW
LOL Not my first rodeo. ;-)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ich will die out in 2 months if there are no fish in the tank at all, but it won't die off in a cycle or two if there are fish in the tank. It's still getting the fish, it's just not particularly visible.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL Not my first rodeo. ;-)
Then - no offense - stop acting like it is:). You're the one that said - the things you did - not me:). If you have references etc - please - post them for everyone here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back