Status
Not open for further replies.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s about time organizations such as R2R stand up for what they believe in regardless of what the rest of the country is insisting is OK and this is how it is. This is why we separated from Britain and created our own country. Yes, everyone can believe what ever they want here in the USA. And if this is the site that chooses to be family friendly and have morals and values, then this is where I will be. I will be actively reading posts and helping fellow reefers while I eat my Chik fil a !
PREACH!

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about time someone bring this up! I am tired of seeing this over and over again. Leave it on Facebook or dating sites. This is a fish forum. Between the avatars, meme's and even in people's build threads... it makes me not want to come on here and my 4 year old is at a curious stage so when I'm looking at the forum and ask me mommy who's that? why can I see her "___" mommy? there is a problem. We need to understand that this site has men, women, and kids of all ages. Thank you wen for bringing this up.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say this and I'm done, I'm sure most men enjoy looking at cleavage pics but that's not what I come to R2R for and no, I don't want to see it. This forum has way more men than women and it's time people start thinking of others. Even the staff here is mostly male (not saying it's bad) but hopefully it can be discussed with others opinions that women and children frequent this site and their opinion matters. If it's so easy to "ignore" or as others have said "get over it" then it's just as easy to accept that this is a family friendly environment and others don't want to see it. Personally, why block the word bo obies if one can basically show them in a profile pic?

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the busty avatars showing up on R2R lately?

As a female, seeing those avatars, it feels inappropriate in a family friendly, reef aquarium forum. While guys might enjoy the eye candy, I find it cheapens what we are doing here. Which is learning about reef aquariums.

If all of us posted busty selfies as avatars, image the degradation in R2R’s reputation.
The moderation team has recieved a report regarding this, and are currently discussing the situation.
Thank you :)
Crabs
It’s about time organizations such as R2R stand up for what they believe in regardless of what the rest of the country is insisting is OK and this is how it is. This is why we separated from Britain and created our own country. Yes, everyone can believe what ever they want here in the USA. And if this is the site that chooses to be family friendly and have morals and values, then this is where I will be. I will be actively reading posts and helping fellow reefers while I eat my Chik fil a !

R2R is where most of us come to discuss the issues going on in reef-related topics. Sure, there's some forums on here for non-reef issues, but generally, we belong to the site for fish, corals, inverts, and the like. I do not belong to this website for its politics. R2R making a decision that it wants to be family friendly and inclusive may require some censorship, because, let's face it, the internet provides lots of opportunities for people to have an "us/me v. them/you" mentality and post off-topic or inappropriate comments that run contrary to the R2R's inclusive policies.

I agree that as a female, seeing another female being objectified does not make me feel good about the community. And it certainly taints my interactions with other members, and unfortunately, can lead to stereotyping of the men in this forum as all people who agree with that objectification. At meetings, people like Mark Callahan say things like "we need more lady reefers," but objectifying females within the community runs counter to those goals. Being objectified degrades the women within the community, whether you personally see this or not, and devalues the forum's inclusive policy.

Thank you to R2R admin for taking this issue seriously.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it isn't just guys who enjoy it - gals may also. So please don't judge.

Vendor image. It is in their name. Does the Homewrecker coral bother you because of the name?

How do you handle a work place, coffee shop, mall, or any other public place you may visit? Do you ask the young men and women to cover?

How do you feel about Rosie the Riveter out of curiosity?

Look - it is an avatar. X pixel by X pixel. Unless they have been banned over night or changed by an automation script I can honestly say in my time here I've not personally seen an avatar that I thought crossed a line. Then again I'll be the first to say that I really don't pay attention.

Maybe you found one that is obvious. Then again maybe you are spending a bit too much time examining the avatar instead of what they posted. I agree with a poster above that this particular board censors a lot. More than I've ever seen if truth be told. Some of it I think is good others I think are starting to blur acceptable lines that I have and question my stay here.

Unless it is a full Monty or Pair of what God gave you let it go. If you can't then remove avatars all together and put the letter of the posters name and be done.
People choose to be distasteful with there pictures. There are plenty of men and women pictures on here that are classy and not trashy. Why can't people just be respectful of a family friendly forum?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it isn't just guys who enjoy it - gals may also. So please don't judge.

What place does what excites someone sexually have in this forum? I have preferences but I'm not here to broadcast them.

Vendor image. It is in their name. Does the Homewrecker coral bother you because of the name?

It doesn't bother me at all, but I do think it's not a wise business decision to alienate potential customers. I don't think anyone will purchase from a vendor because they have a cheesy large chested cartoon mascot or an edgy name, but I do think it might stop someone from buying.

How do you handle a work place, coffee shop, mall, or any other public place you may visit? Do you ask the young men and women to cover?

No, it's public, I mind my own business and hope others mind theirs. This isn't a public street.

How do you feel about Rosie the Riveter out of curiosity?

Looks like a hard worker and was motivational. Was she considered overtly sexual in the 40s?

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is getting off track? I have never seen a MEMBER act in the ways described above. Not saying it hasn’t happened (and I’m sure mods dealt with it) but I believe the issue brought up was VENDOR ADVERTISEMENTS, which has somehow segued into members vs members. Is that really an issue? If that’s the case it’s totally different then OPs original complaint (whether I agree with it or not).

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that racy avatars may be in poor taste (or at the very least not reef related) but I am personally not a huge fan of censorship (or at least additional censorship). Company logos and such that may have buff dudes or curvy ladies are how that company has chosen to grab your attention, if it offends you I would just not shop with them.

Agree with comment above that users can be ignored. I think as long as folks stick to PG13 or lower with their content, we are still in ok shape.

Self expression is important, but I know we want a family friendly atmosphere, so I'd suggest the mods just keep doing a great job dealing with issues on a case by case basis and try to err on the side of suggestion/discussion and not heavy handed hard rules.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's about time someone bring this up! I am tired of seeing this over and over again. Leave it on Facebook or dating sites. This is a fish forum. Between the avatars, meme's and even in people's build threads... it makes me not want to come on here and my 4 year old is at a curious stage so when I'm looking at the forum and ask me mommy who's that? why can I see her "___" mommy? there is a problem. We need to understand that this site has men, women, and kids of all ages. Thank you wen for bringing this up.

This is a little dramatic at best. You don’t see offensive material or avatars here over and over again. It occasionally comes up but we take care of it on a case by case basis. We have an AMAZING community that is probably the MOST family friendly of any website on the internet! ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like I said we’re looking into these issues on a case by case basis. Closing this so we can all go back to enjoying Reefing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back