I found a weird worm with spike feet and umbrella mouth.

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed it just in case, but I'm having trouble with an ID. Appreciate any help you can give! It's got some algae and coral food pellets stuck to it in these pics. I didn't have time to find another container. Didn't want it vanishing while I went looking.

Video

Pics
TnO03il.jpg

sf1ZzWp.jpg

Dg7lxNs.jpg

nlMo5hp.jpg

Observations:
It has small spike like feet on its side. I saw 2 rows but there could be more.
It was quite slow, and did not react at all when I reached in with the needlenoses to grab it.
Seems to be a bit shy of light as it sucked into itself a bit when I took the photos?
As it moves it extrudes what looks almost like an inside out umbrella shaped mouth.
Shows no interest in eating the coral food pellets.
Skin transparent. I can easily observe blood being pumped through a central artery.
No apparent armor or appendages other than the spikes and umbrella mouth.
Does have a small lump just behind the umbrella mouth, almost like a head. This area has dark spots that remind me of a newborn chick before the eyelids open.
No shell and no tube in the area I found it, aside from an empty snail shell that matches many I added to the tank some time ago. Likely unrelated.

OP
OP
M

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen bristle worms before and I'm certain this is not one. It doesn't really have the bristles they do. This has spike legs that are more like euclid legs but smaller in proportion to the body.

OP
OP
M

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they look similar, but this one doesn't seem to have any spaghettis. Just the funky suction mouth. I'm wondering if it might be some sort of parasite since it just showed up 2 days after dosing with Fluconazole. Also I got the algae and food off it and now I can see for sure there are 2 rows of 'feet' along the bottom. Appears to be a small section of feet that have a hairy looking base around them. Whole worm hovers around 1" long as well but can stretch out much further than that.

OP
OP
M

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a better video that shows a lot of detail. It seems to have a distinct tail area with a swelling just in front of that where the hairy feet start. This is a tough one! I searched through all kinds of ID sites but I haven't found anything yet. I remembered I have zoom about 40 seconds in so skip to there for details.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards a Lumbrineridae worm. Peanut worms don't have the "legs" on the side like this has. They have a well-developed jaw apparatus suitable for grasping food material. Most of them are predaceous carnivores or scavengers. Some construct mucus tubes which can explain all the food stuck to it.
Here is a picture example.
Screenshot_20180227-191312.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a better video that shows a lot of detail. It seems to have a distinct tail area with a swelling just in front of that where the hairy feet start. This is a tough one! I searched through all kinds of ID sites but I haven't found anything yet. I remembered I have zoom about 40 seconds in so skip to there for details.

Thats a really cool looking worm.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool looking either way. I thought maybe his back end was damaged from the pics which may have skewed an ID, but the video made it pretty clear it was not, as far as I could tell. Pretty hypnotizing to watch him.

OP
OP
M

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He really is quite fascinating! I've got him in a test tube right now floating in the main tank so he won't get cold while I figure out if he's friend or foe. I rather hope I can find out for sure he's at least benign if not beneficial because I hate to kill him.

Another thing I noticed while transferring him. His back end is bright yellow. From that narrowing part back, its like neon yellow. The head area is also yellow but its more of a dull yellow that's hard to see. Both parts are still transparent so it looks like stained glass almost. The part with the fuzzy feet is just clear. I actually thought he might be some kind of intermediate stage or larval animal but he has no bones so I don't think that's likely. I'm quite stumped.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back