I glue animals to rocks: How do you attach frags to your aquascape?

How do you attach frags to your aquascape? (select all that apply)

• Epoxy

Votes: 84 22.1%
  • Glue

Votes: 299 78.7%
  • Putty

Votes: 69 18.2%
  • I just sit the frag plugs in place without adhesive

Votes: 101 26.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 3.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I glue animals to rocks: How do you attach frags to your aquascape?

I remember the first time I saw the T-Shirt at a reef show that said: “I glue animals to rocks”. I was initially horrified, then I realized it was referring to attaching corals to the rockscape in a reef tank. Side note: R2R strongly encourages the ethical treatment of animals. Maybe you just got your first coral, or you have been keeping corals for many years – either way, when you put the coral into your tank you usually want it to stay where you put it so that you can create a beautiful reefing tank. How do you attach frags to your aquascape? Maybe you use some type of adhesive or maybe you just set the frag plugs in place without any glue. Please let us know if you recommend a specific type of glue and share your tips and tricks for placing your corals.

AlexCosta_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @Alex Costa

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarFoodsBanner.gif

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gel glue. I have had some coral come off of the rock, but that was my fault for not making sure the rocks were completely clean prior to gluing

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Superglue gel --- Epoxy --- super glue gel method.

The expoxy provides a malleable surface for the frag plug (base or base snipped off) to rotate and move to get the right position, the superglue gel takes time to solidify in salt water but is sticky so it will hold the epoxyplug in place long enough for the epoxy to dry between the plug and rock. Also, if one wants to relocate the coral (due to lighting, flow, or other changes, usually with the epoxy it's a matter of just prying the plug off the rock. The epoxy also fills in around the plug if placing the plug in a whole in the rock, giving it more stability and less movement if something bumps into the coral.

The epoxy glue sandwich really gives a ton of stability. I even use it for gluing corals to frag plugs or if I take corals off the plug and glue directly to the rocks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use holdfast putty from instant ocean for a couple of decades but now have switched to a very easy and user friendly Tunze Coral gum

1689605759197.png
1689605781250.png

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I make frag plug holders out of epoxy.

While its still malleable I can shape it into what I want using a blank plug to hold the form. I make some short and squat, some are 'J' shaped so I can anchor them into the rock work, others are shaped to mount to the sides of rocks. I let them set, pull the plug then drill out the hole slightly and voila!

I can mount these anywhere using additional putty/glue sandwiches and it makes it super easy to pull and dip, frag stuff.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever possible i prefer going au naturelle, just like the storm gods decreed! For LPS I tend to prefer taking advantage of or building a proper base/recess around them, this makes it easier to move them, should i need to, which has been very handy with my wall hammer.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags on plugs usually just superglue gel. Frag/plug to rock is superglue epoxy sandwich. Yes, somewhat unsightly until coralline covers it up but I usually just snip the frag plug stem off and glue the disc to rock. Larger plugs etc. get trimmed then glued. IMO more secure and makes it easier to pop it off later, w/o damaging coral, if needed.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back