I glue animals to rocks: How do you attach frags to your aquascape?

How do you attach frags to your aquascape? (select all that apply)

• Epoxy

Votes: 84 22.1%
  • Glue

Votes: 299 78.7%
  • Putty

Votes: 69 18.2%
  • I just sit the frag plugs in place without adhesive

Votes: 101 26.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 3.2%

• Total voters

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those guys that HATES frag plugs. For that reason, I glue directly to the rock.

I recently switched from simple gel glue to the tunze coral putty stuff in a glue sandwich. It's amazing.

With glue alone I can mount ok to a flat surface, mostly. However, gluing a frag to the side of a rock sucks. I have to try to hold it super still while the glue dries underwater. Invariably, I'm a little wiggly while holding it so the mount is poorly done. Ugh.

With the putty sandwich I just press it into place and it glues perfectly. I thought the putty would be a pita to add to the simple glue process but it's actually better and easier.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got nyos cement to make a rock structure. Thought about using to to attach frags but it’s actually a major pain in the butt. Will stick to gel super glue

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the epoxy/glue sandwich with the brs glue accelerator. I will set a couple pieces of Caribsea frag zone rubble rock first the night before and then I attach the frags to those pieces of rubble. I mount all frags on upside down frag plugs. They hold much better when mounted this way and the frags encrust down and branch out faster for me.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epoxy when the coral is loose is difficult to get right.

So first I super glue it. A few days later I epoxy it. That way I can get the epoxy nice and tight and molded in just right for a good fit.
I've never considered this method, but I might have to try it. I am pretty indecisive and this would allow me to see if the coral is a good fit before place it permanently

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually glue them with Locktite gel or I use a little epoxy when it’s needed.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Purple Mushroom, kept it in an Acrylic Cage, for weeks, trying to get it attached to a small clam shell. Finally it’s attached. Turned the lights down low, so fish don’t bounce off of the glass. Go to glue the Mushroom, to a Frag Tile on my Overflow. I can’t see what I’m doing, because of the angle. Thought, dang that Frag Tile is loose. Glued the Mushroom to a poor Snail.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back