I got a new tank for Christmas!

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I've been on the site since I started in the hobby only a few short months ago in September. I went to my LFS and purchased a 29 gallon aquarium kit thinking I'd be saving some $$,,trans out within a month I was only using the tank that was worth $35...lol . I have been receiving help from many of you over the last few months with equipment, fish, and inverts. My girlfriend loves to hate the hobby! She, her father, and 2 sons spend almost as many hours watching the tank as I do. She is not terribly fond of the time I spend researching, doing water changes and just how much time in general this hobby takes. With that said she bought me a 65 gallon tank for christmas :). Once again I will be looking to R2R members for help on what to do and how to transfer everything form the older tank to the new one.

The new tank is 36"x18"x24 tall vs. the old one which was 12 x 30 x 18. the biggest reason I wanted to go bigger was I have difficulty gleaning the glass because of the way my rock is set up. I will post pictures later on. I like how the rock (aprox. 40 lbs) is set up currently and I think I would like to add to it with some tonga branch?
I'm not 100% sure what all my inverts are but I'll try to list them
2 fighting conch, 1 cleaner shrimp, 6 large nassarius snails, 5 turbos, 9 bumblebee snails, and 6 of some other snail my bfs said I should put in. I also have 6 or 12 small blue leg hermit crabs. My scarlett died somehow as did my emerald, the porcelain crab is still in there.
As far as fish
2 Ocillaris Clowns
1 Royal Gamma
1 Pyjama Cardinal
1 Elegant Fire Fish
I just bought a Flame Angel (Currently in Quarantine) and I'd like to get a Copperband Butterfly as well as a Mandarin Goby.
Coral
1 frogspawn
1 chalice
some encrusting green thing
a few zoos
a toad stool leather
and a montipora (a scrolling sort of thing)
1 open brain
Last month I built a sump/refugium in a 20 Long that houses my Tunze 9004 skimmer and I bought a sicce 3.0 return pump. I have some cheato in there and some red macro alge on about 2" sand bed and the pods seem to be growing quite well! The light that I am using under there is a little week I think just an LED bulb 5000k from home depot but the age seems to be growing.
In the tank I am running a maxi jet 400 and a maxi jet 1200 for flow which my bfs is recommending I change to 2 tunes 3025 I believe? they are small but dc and come with their own controllers and easy to hide in the rock work they tell me. to get the water out of my current tank I have an eshopps 300 hob overflow which I'm planning to swap for an eclipse L (I'm going to have to nut up and drill the tank). I found a great deal on one on a local buy and sell site similar to craigslist. I also have the 3 pod maxspect razor 18000 k led light currently hanging aprox 9" over the tank.
It is a peninsula build so everything in and on the tank has to be on one of the 18" ends which I've found a little difficult on the current set up.
I am not in a huge rush to get everything going but i'd like to see it ready in about a month to a month and a half. Any advise on my set up or my plans would be much invited and I will post pics as I go along, but here are a few for now.
IMG_3945.JPG
IMG_4041.JPG
IMG_4042.JPG
IMG_3804.JPG
IMG_3794.JPG
IMG_3958.JPG
IMG_3646.JPG
IMG_3755.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG
IMG_3974.JPG
IMG_3983.JPG
IMG_3985.JPG
IMG_3986.JPG
IMG_4104.JPG
IMG_4100.JPG
IMG_4105.JPG

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your GF rocks! :) I suspect she enjoys the hobby much more than she wants to admit. Regardless, she's a keeper! ;) Enjoy the new tank and happy reefing!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back