I guess I'm supposed to do this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cba191
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I just started and have no clue what I'm doing. I've wanted a reef tank since i was a kid.
Just started my cycle today.
20250604_212559.jpg
Welcome to r2r, be patient and have fun.
 
I would give it like 2 months with just coral and inverts before adding your fish. This will help skip the ugly algae phases and will create an ecosystem before adding the fish that eat inverts and produce waste.

Add that stuff already?
I started my system this way...seemed logical with the Berlin System framework, and I was too budget-limited for fish at the beginning anyway.

I recently realized that Straughn (1954) suggested this approach as an "expert move" in his book 70-some years ago. It's hard to imagine a concept that has been better-validated research-wise in that time. Coincidentally, most of my website is article references around this idea....stability from the bottom up, not top-down.

Funny how some great ideas just never really catch on to become popular tho.

But definitely not unheard of....just do some searching.
 
Looks good at least from a distance! Nice!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 15.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new