I HAD A CLAM

  • Thread starter Thread starter JustAnt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JustAnt

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2016
Messages
582
Reaction score
430
Location
Westchester county, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
until last night. 2 1/2 inch maxima. Owned for 3 weeks. Alive when I went to bed. Been feeding daily since so small zooxathelle not enough to sustain a small guy.

This morning I wake up walk over to tank and was happy at first bc he seemed really open then as well got closer I realized he was GONE.

Money down the drain!

I don’t c how he could’ve gotten eaten if he was alive. So maybe he died at night and my cuc cleaned up

Bummed
 
condolences! these little irresistible jewels are so seemingly unnecessarily fickle. :(

— tank parameters & age?
— tank companions??
— light set-up??
— origin of the clam?
 
Sorry for your loss! IMO clams don’t need to be fed even when small, as they can uptake NP directly from water ( fish waste etc ). It requires adequate lighting with appropriate spectrum.
 
The need to feed is an old wives tale. Choking the clam with food is enough to kill it. They truly are set it and forget it if your tank is dialed in. Having said that, a huge percentage of them die anyways on the road to maturity which is why I won’t touch any smaller than 3” unless it’s a derasa or gigas.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new