I had a crash and i have the icp test

Danghost22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone i recently went through a little crash where things just started to die. My sps went first and a few days later the rest of the tank which consisted of lps and zoas started to slowly die. When testing using the hobbyist test kits everything seemed normal and even went to an LFS to make sure my test kits were accurate and sure enough they were. So in the middle of the whole, i decided to take an ICP test to see what it could be. The results are below and just need some help in terms of understanding what caused the crash so i don't repeat the same steps and lose another WD colony.

Attachments

• ICP TEST.pdf
    129 KB · Views: 68

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s higher nitrates than I’d like for my sps although I couldn’t say that’s the cause

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no chemist and new to saltwater but aluminim really really high by looks of what they recommending.
Not sure how it got in there and i wont even say how or what to do as do not know apart from ovbiously if aluminium is the problem then need to stop it happenning again and get levels down before start again,but following along to get advice if i ever need or someone else asks.
I have read that some " marine pure" blocks leach sky high aluminum and causes major problems.
( i think was called marine pure,if another name i apoligise.but if you have any blocks in tank for extra surface area then a quick google search can give you some more information)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum for me was the only thing that jumped out as well. Products like phosguard are aluminum based and also will leach aluminum.

OP
OP
D

Danghost22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum for me was the only thing that jumped out as well. Products like phosguard are aluminum based and also will leach aluminum.
Ahh okay so then that explains it I do run phosgaurd and I guess I didn’t rinse it out well enough.

OP
OP
D

Danghost22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s higher nitrates than I’d like for my sps although I couldn’t say that’s the cause
Definitely high for my liking but they seemed fine and even coloring up for a little bit then it declined I assumed after the higher aluminum levels

OP
OP
D

Danghost22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no chemist and new to saltwater but aluminim really really high by looks of what they recommending.
Not sure how it got in there and i wont even say how or what to do as do not know apart from ovbiously if aluminium is the problem then need to stop it happenning again and get levels down before start again,but following along to get advice if i ever need or someone else asks.
I have read that some " marine pure" blocks leach sky high aluminum and causes major problems.
( i think was called marine pure,if another name i apoligise.but if you have any blocks in tank for extra surface area then a quick google search can give you some more information)
I don’t have any of those but good to know cause I didn’t know they would do that. I only have dried rocks that I cured myself but that was a long while ago close to 6 months ago. I also added established live rock from a previous tank.

Back