I had a firefish die in one day

cyanidedelirium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to firefish one died today it was fine then today it started open its mouth like it was gasping and laying at the bottom of the tank the other one also seems to have the same gasping but is still moving around they both ate yesterday morning and then this morning only one came out to eat tank is 3 months old no visible signs of disease
20200516_151450.jpg

Ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite .025
nitrate 25
calcium 360
phos.03
dkh 9

OP
OP
C

cyanidedelirium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sorry it just was fine swimming doing it's thing yesterday and it just laid down and died today and they hang out in the open pretty regularly so I would have noticed something

OP
OP
C

cyanidedelirium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was quicker than normal but not super fast so I saw this and I thought it was an oxygen issue so I threw in an airstone in the return area and then a couple of hours later it stopped gasping and that was it

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I wonder what caused an oxygen depletion like that. Do you run a skimmer? That could help to prevent that from happening again and keep your water clean haha

OP
OP
C

cyanidedelirium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use a skimmer I have a fuge setup that I started a few weeks ago I also have a power head constantly aimed at the surface

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bite marks on the body? Have you noticed any aggression between any of the fish? Clowns can be pretty mean. And I'm not sure but seems like you have another firefish. If so sometimes they seem to get along, sometimes for months, and then wham. One turns on the other one. Conspecific behavior.

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to keep the water oxygenated. Power head aimed at the top of the water helps but having a skimmer is best to keep adequate oxygen in the water.

OP
OP
C

cyanidedelirium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bite marks on the body? Have you noticed any aggression between any of the fish? Clowns can be pretty mean. And I'm not sure but seems like you have another firefish. If so sometimes they seem to get along, sometimes for months, and then wham. One turns on the other one. Conspecific behavior.
I haven't seen any bite marks I haven't flushed the body yet I inspected it I haven't seen anything physically wrong. I haven't really seen any aggression out of the clowns since they were first introduced now they hang out in different parts of the tank. I had 2 firefish for about 3 months now the lfs got them as a pair and had been there for a month living together and unless they started fighting last night I haven't seen any aggression between the two of them

OP
OP
C

cyanidedelirium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to do a freshwater dip to check for flukes.
So I dipped the deceased one I didn't see any come off the other ones hiding underneath my rocks when it comes out tomorrow to eat I'll try and do a dip then

ecexotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to firefish one died today it was fine then today it started open its mouth like it was gasping and laying at the bottom of the tank the other one also seems to have the same gasping but is still moving around they both ate yesterday morning and then this morning only one came out to eat tank is 3 months old no visible signs of disease
20200516_151450.jpg

Ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite .025
nitrate 25
calcium 360
phos.03
dkh 9
very very sorry to hear about the loss. did it seem stressed from shipping ? i've lost one from divers den in shipping due to stress i believe

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 163 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back