I hate to be the bearer of bad news...

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by jgvergo, May 15, 2019.

1. jgvergo

jgvergo Valuable Member R2R Supporter Hudson Valley Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

I just read this article about the effect of blue LEDs on the retina and on sleep patterns.

Summarizing the findings:
    1. They distinguish between acute and chronic exposure.
    2. Even chronic exposure can accelerate the aging of retinal tissue, contributing to a decline in visual acuity and certain degenerative diseases such as age-related macular degeneration.
    3. Blue LEDs interfere with body's circadian rhythm (causing sleep problems)
    The original report is in French, but there is an English language opinion and summary.

My wife has age related macular degeneration. Fortunately, she is not a big fan of the tank and does not spend a lot of time staring at the tank. Now I won't question her indifference!

2. KrisReef

KrisReef Valuable Member

Knowledge is power, thanks for the knowledge links.

Someday soon there will be a legal battle over blue light exposure damage.

3. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Cyber Monday Sponsor Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Very interesting!

GoatmealJones, KrisReef and MnFish1 like this.
  4. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Cyber Monday Sponsor Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Dana Riddle, KrisReef and MnFish1 like this.
  5. Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer Older than dirt! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

This is a long known issue that’s not discussed much, I can’t remember where but I saw pictures not to long ago where employees of a coral farm where all wearing blue blocking glasses while working on grow out tanks.

8B96BF53-32F0-4263-87FC-E9A6EF5885DC.jpeg

6. Righteous

Righteous Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I have to say, I notice vision issues after being close to the tank and looking in it for a long while. I've also noticed that if I'm wearing my glasses, my transition lenses actually start to darken, presumably from the UV (2 Radion G4 Pros).

I'm on the computer most of the day so that doesn't help. I do think the strong blue lighting and uv is something to be thoughtful of, especially if viewing in close proximity for extended periods.

7. Righteous

I've started using those at night when I need to be on a computer screen. They are a blessing and my eyes are much happier.

KrisReef, jgvergo and Retro Reefer like this.
  8. skimjim

skimjim Valuable Member

This is the WORST blue light ever
    windows-10-bsod.jpg

9. jgvergo

jgvergo Valuable Member R2R Supporter Hudson Valley Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

If ever there was a group of people who are chronically exposed to blue LEDs, it's US!

mshonk, NFO, Hemmdog and 4 others like this.
  10. jgvergo

Ahhhh, the blue screen of death...

CudaScott, mshonk, RandyC and 3 others like this.
  11. jgvergo

I'm not sure if you read the entire article, but they said that "blue blocker" type sunglasses don't really help :eek:

KrisReef likes this.
  12. MnFish1

MnFish1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

NotASpammerDude, KrisReef and jgvergo like this.
  13. jgvergo

I've frequently seen articles about the effect of blue LEDs (e.g. from cell phones and other screens) causing sleep problems. This is the first time I remember reading about retinal damage, which is a MUCH greater concern.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  14. jgvergo

My tank is predominatly lit by blue LEDs (along with T5s). I don't think it's a question of whether it is less than the exposure we get from the sun. It is additive to the sunlight exposure we have, and that could be enough to trigger retinal damage.

KrisReef and MnFish1 like this.
  15. MnFish1

MnFish1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Right - I wasnt minimizing it - thats why I posted the article from preventblindness.org. I wasnt aware that there were so many sources.

jgvergo and KrisReef like this.
  16. Saveafish

Saveafish Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Weird. I have blue glow builds in my room as a night lum. I close my eyes ( no I don't sleep with my eyes open ) I sleep like a rock. Maybe if people closed their eyes as they sleep they too wouldn't care what color the light is.

Higher Thinking, Hemmdog, kgk and 5 others like this.
  17. Righteous

I read that in the news article, but not in the translated summary on the report. Maybe the details are in full French report. Anyone know French? Also the article says 'efficacy of some "anti-blue light" filters'. I know from looking there are a ton of supposedly blue light filtering glasses that do no such thing. Lots of them a clear as opposed to yellow or orange. You've got to do research on which ones work and what frequency they block. I know some are used in industrial settings to protect against lasers and the such, and are rated accordingly.

Those Skypers are the good kind, and I can tell you if you look at blue LEDs they basically disappear when you have them on.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    KrisReef likes this.
  18. Righteous

deleted accidental post

KrisReef likes this.
  19. MaccaPopEye

MaccaPopEye Well-Known Member

You need to download f.lux on your computer mate :) it will automatically start filtering out blue light more and more as it gets later at night. I also use "twilight" on my phone as it is similar (although many phones have an inbuilt blue light filter these days).

klp, KrisReef and sfin52 like this.
  20. sfin52

sfin52 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

What about t5 antic? Or is it just the blue led

KrisReef likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted