I hated this type of coral but now I love it! What and why is that?

Have you ever hated a certain coral that you now love to keep?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 52 29.4%
  • NO

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In life and in the reef aquarium hobby, tastes change for various reasons! For me there were always those corals that so many loved that I hated and those that I loved that others hated. But now, at this point in my "reefing career" I find myself loving some of those corals I used to hate! Let's talk about that today!

PS. I used to HATE bounce mushrooms but now I love them! :p

1. What coral do you really like now that you used to really dislike?

2. Why do you think people's tastes for certain corals change?

Bounce Mushroom image via @ChaosAquaculture
1.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Goodness... I used to blast chalices so much for being "boring" corals LOL! Once I learned how cool they could be they quickly became a favorite
2R1A9808.jpg

HAHA me as well. You don't know the true beauty until you get one that really starts to grow out and get some size to it!

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA me as well. You don't know the true beauty until you get one that really starts to grow out and get some size to it!
I made a tank full of them purely because people said they took forever to grow LOL! I had to start cutting them a lot quicker than I expected... and you can cut off the less interesting parts so that the cooler pattern/ color combos expand
Very much an under appreciated coral

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is kind of a reverse situation on my part. I love just about everything. But, I can't say everything appreciates the habitat I provide. So, it's complicated in forms of caring for our aquariums.

The complications were. Hammer corals I loved them, but couldn't keep them happy. I had attempted them 3 times in the past. Couldn't keep them from getting bjd. Now they are growing rather well. I know it's my fault. I just don't know where I went wrong. I kept frogspawns happy and thriving. But, now I'm scared frogspawns will melt when I attempt those again.
I am currently in my comfort zone and don't want to leave it.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a coral that's beautiful BUT I can't seem to admire it enough to buy it.

Lobos....

Such slow growers that seems like it takes 20 years to double in size.

I can't seem to want to buy them bc of slow growth. I desire coral progression

maugustine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In life and in the reef aquarium hobby, tastes change for various reasons! For me there were always those corals that so many loved that I hated and those that I loved that others hated. But now, at this point in my "reefing career" I find myself loving some of those corals I used to hate! Let's talk about that today!

PS. I used to HATE bounce mushrooms but now I love them! :p

Bounce Mushroom image via @ChaosAquaculture
1.jpg
Haven’t tried any mushrooms yet but after seeing this I think I going try some!! Beautiful!! Thx for sharing

Neil Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More the opposite for me. I've seen corals that I really loved, got one, and then regretted it. The best example was a really beautiful Hollywood Stunner that I got. It seemed to take off immediately, nice shape, growing, couldn't have been happier; until the fateful day it showed it's murderous side. It could broadcast deadly sweeper tentacles throughout the entire tank. It was a killing machine!

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated this thing when I got it. It grew so fast I thought it was just a huge ugly green thing that just took over the small tank. It shed its skin which revealed an amazing fluorescent green inside which it was almost completely lacking before. Now I love this leather. I wanted to just sell to Lfs but my middle daughter wouldn’t let me. Now I’d never give it away.
3DA5EC6A-34B6-4112-9B92-AD24691C98FB.jpeg
6174B0E8-9973-4F83-884A-E04E634FED72.jpeg

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids have been that coral for me. I used to hate that there were so many different varieties and they all looked the same in shape but had different morphs and some are slightly distinguishable and had a major difference in price because of it and on and on. Once I put them in my tank to ease into the hobby and taking care of corals, I realized how stunning some of them are under the blue lights. They’re not my favorite but they’re in the top 5.
91213311-3D2A-4035-86DF-24BA0ACE8C2A.jpeg

More the opposite for me. I've seen corals that I really loved, got one, and then regretted it. The best example was a really beautiful Hollywood Stunner that I got. It seemed to take off immediately, nice shape, growing, couldn't have been happier; until the fateful day it showed it's murderous side. It could broadcast deadly sweeper tentacles throughout the entire tank. It was a killing machine!
Similar to this, this was me and pulsing xenia. Mine decided they never wanted to pulse and so now they’re just an invasive coral (luckily they’re on an island and I only got 2 frags for 10 dollars). Should have gone with clove polyps. May remove it and do that if I can find them.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hated this thing when I got it. It grew so fast I thought it was just a huge ugly green thing that just took over the small tank. It shed its skin which revealed an amazing fluorescent green inside which it was almost completely lacking before. Now I love this leather. I wanted to just sell to Lfs but my middle daughter wouldn’t let me. Now I’d never give it away.
3DA5EC6A-34B6-4112-9B92-AD24691C98FB.jpeg
6174B0E8-9973-4F83-884A-E04E634FED72.jpeg
Corals in pictures never demonstrate their true beauty. Soft corals being the number one worst picture takers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Xenia coral. Had past high rate of overgrowth and now more manageable and colorful under my lights.

Lack of color or was cool when the tank was new and they wanted anything live to look at. Also aggressive growth such as GSP or Kenyii tree will change one's mind in a hurry

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back