I have 4 clowns, but one is a jerk and hosts all 3 nems

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not really a “problem” persay, but I have 1 percula, one Black ice, one cinnamon, and one black ocellaris. The cinnamon clown is v aggressive and bites me like a lil jerk lol. and it has decided to host all 3 of my nems without letting the others have any… is this normal? And How can I let my poor other clowns enjoy in on the fun?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not really a “problem” persay, but I have 1 percula, one Black ice, one cinnamon, and one black ocellaris. The cinnamon clown is v aggressive and bites me like a lil jerk lol. and it has decided to host all 3 of my nems without letting the others have any… is this normal? And How can I let my poor other clowns enjoy in on the fun?
So two clowns (a pair) is the ideal number of clowns in one tank. Sooner or later, as you well know. One or more will become aggressive. Personally, I’d get rid of cinnamon and one other. Good luck.

OP
OP
L

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So two clowns (a pair) is the ideal number of clowns in one tank. Sooner or later, as you well know. One or more will become aggressive. Personally, I’d get rid of cinnamon and one other. Good luck.
I’ve been trying to get rid of him (and then other) but I just can’t seem to catch him… he’s so fast! Any ideas without taking all my rock/coral apart?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately that sounds normal and in line with how clowns are wired. The black ice clown is a designer ocellaris so (as suggested above) I would move on from the cinnamon and would tend to keep the black ice and the black ocellaris.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to get rid of him (and then other) but I just can’t seem to catch him… he’s so fast! Any ideas without taking all my rock/coral apart?
Have a net in one hand and food in the other. Do you think he’d go for food close to the top of your tank where you can nab him?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Your local fish store may have a fish trap that you can borrow. Also, depending on your scape sometimes you can use egg crate or some type of divider to push that fish to a limited part of the tank and then capture it from there. I actually have a cinnamon that I am trying to get out of my 75g reef now so I definitely understand. It can take some time, but I have found that I usually can catch a fish with patience.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome to hierarchy of clowns. Its often associated with female(s). For clownfish, the females are larger than the males. So if you have a large clownfish or a clownfish that has been alone for a long period of time, chances are that it is a female.
Female clownfish are much more dominant than their male counterparts. They greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their "home", whether that be an anenome, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
This is how the social hierarchy works for clownfish: There is one dominant female clownfish, partnered with a male, who is the next most dominant fish. The female is larger (often much larger) than the male. Next are non-mating males and juveniles. They are usually smaller still than the dominant male. If the male mate were to die, the next dominant male would become the mate (if the female accepts him). If the female were to die, then the dominant male would change to female and the next male in line would become the mate.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your local fish store may have a fish trap that you can borrow. Also, depending on your scape sometimes you can use egg crate or some type of divider to push that fish to a limited part of the tank and then capture it from there. I actually have a cinnamon that I am trying to get out of my 75g reef now so I definitely understand. It can take some time, but I have found that I usually can catch a fish with patience.
200.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
L

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a net in one hand and food in the other. Do you think he’d go for food close to the top of your tank where you can nab him?
He’s such a smart one, won’t go for any food, just knows a black net is bad. On the other hand, my white hand, he will try to destroy

OP
OP
L

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s such a smart one, won’t go for any food, just knows a black net is bad. On the other hand, my white hand, he will try to destroy
Also, I’m so sorry, this has nothing to do with the color of my skin, it was just an adjective to use for how it was attracted to my hand, which is indeed light pink/tan?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perfect! Just use your hand as bait!!!

200.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do I do this lol

I generally don't recommend it and only use it in extreme situations, but you can search the interwebs for "microfishing" to get the details.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cinnamon lives in your anemones, right? In that case, will be VERY easy. I have caught all 30 of my true percs in this fashion, as well as many other fish, so long as they don't go into rock when they're asleep. Surprised that no one has suggested this method as follows.

Turn off lights, including room lights. The room needs to be super dark for AT LEAST an hour (the longer the better to ensure the fish is asleep). Then, with your net ready, suddenly turn on the tank lights--BRIGHT LIGHTS, not the blue dim ones if you have LEDS. Your fish will be stunned/not even awake, and will barely move. (Think how we humans are if we're suddenly woken up and blinded in the middle of the night with bright lights! lol) Scoop it up right then and there.

I have caught skunk clownfish, tomato clowns, tangs, aiptasia eating file fish, as well as many more with this method :)

OP
OP
L

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cinnamon lives in your anemones, right? In that case, will be VERY easy. I have caught all 30 of my true percs in this fashion, as well as many other fish, so long as they don't go into rock when they're asleep. Surprised that no one has suggested this method as follows.

Turn off lights, including room lights. The room needs to be super dark for AT LEAST an hour (the longer the better to ensure the fish is asleep). Then, with your net ready, suddenly turn on the tank lights--BRIGHT LIGHTS, not the blue dim ones if you have LEDS. Your fish will be stunned/not even awake, and will barely move. (Think how we humans are if we're suddenly woken up and blinded in the middle of the night with bright lights! lol) Scoop it up right then and there.

I have caught skunk clownfish, tomato clowns, tangs, aiptasia eating file fish, as well as many more with this method :)
Thank you! I will try this!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back