I have a confession to make...

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im coral hoarder.

I don’t like placing my new frags on rocks. I rather place them on frag racks and watch them grow. I fear that by putting the corals on the rocks I won’t be able to properly remove them if I have to one day.

I rather have corals then fish or anything else and I enjoy having a “underwater garden”

Anyone else do the same??

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like putting new additions on frag racks until they’re big enough to frag again and then add one to the rockwork and leave one on the rack.
As for fish, I grown towards useful purpose only (or what the little lady likes to look at) it seems like “pretty” fish like to jump in the overflow, on the floor, or hug the water movers!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like putting new additions on frag racks until they’re big enough to frag again and then add one to the rockwork and leave one on the rack.
As for fish, I grown towards useful purpose only (or what the little lady likes to look at) it seems like “pretty” fish like to jump in the overflow, on the floor, or hug the water movers!
Hey, that’s a pretty good idea.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time placing new additions from the rack or the bottom when they seem to be doing well where they are and sometimes they just don't like the new spot.

I bounced a new hammer frag I got last year from the bottom where it was doing well to another spot where it was too shaded and suffered, finally crammed it next to my other hammer and it is doing well.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We discussed this yesterday with a group of reefers that were visiting. Sam corals weirdly look more visible, shinier, nicer on plugs in frag tank rather than in mini colonies in my DT for some reason. Most likely as they are small and filled with new growth.
You also seem to better watch a frag than a colony for new growth, color, progress....
Then.again I hate the look of rocks in a DT so a frag tank is a must have and let's face it itll feed our hoarding habits!

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm the opposite of you. I put new acro frags on the sand bed for one week to get accustomed to my parameters without blasting them with light. But after that week, I can't wait to glue them in their permanent place on a rock so they can start encrusting and growing. On the rare occasion that I decide to move a frag, it easily snaps off the rock.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess I'm the opposite of you. I put new acro frags on the sand bed for one week to get accustomed to my parameters without blasting them with light. But after that week, I can't wait to glue them in their permanent place on a rock so they can start encrusting and growing. On the rare occasion that I decide to move a frag, it easily snaps off the rock.
This is me. Sometimes they don't stay on the bed a week. LOL

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im coral hoarder.

I don’t like placing my new frags on rocks. I rather place them on frag racks and watch them grow. I fear that by putting the corals on the rocks I won’t be able to properly remove them if I have to one day.

I rather have corals then fish or anything else and I enjoy having a “underwater garden”

Anyone else do the same??

Dude! You're speaking my language and singing my song.

I refuse to put ZOA frags out on LR bc so many of them just melt away when they're out there all alone.

I keep my Zoas on frag plugs on a rack until I have at least 15 polyps. The zoa mini-colony has to be big enough to "man it on its own".... and I feel a 5-10 polyp zoa frag just isn't mature enough to go out on it own.

Many have tried out in the vastness of the DT....and many have melted.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also hesitant to glue a frag to a rock out of fear that its not the proper placement..

Placing them properly is my big fear too. I want to get a frag tank though. Then I can frag my own corals for my display, and if they freak out on me, well, I have the mother ship in my home. :)

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placing them properly is my big fear too. I want to get a frag tank though. Then I can frag my own corals for my display, and if they freak out on me, well, I have the mother ship in my home. :)

Thats my plan as well. Actually dont even care for a display tank.

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I like to do is place a chunk of reef rock on a frag plug then attach the frag to the rock. So I remove the rock with frag from the plug instead of coral from the plug. It doesn't disturb the coral and can make placing the coral in the display easy. The fact it looks natural is a bonus.

This works great with just about any coral but especially with fragile coral like chalice.

Then once the colony gets big enough I frag it from the display and repeat the process of placing a chunk of reef rock on a frag plug then attaching the frag to that rock.

My goal for my corals is to have a mini farm + a nice garden.

I grow out frags until I get one really nice colony that has a perfect shape that I place in my display and I will never frag. All the oddly grown colonies get farmed on my frag rack.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me. :)
9B638B1C-2B73-47AF-B621-5E42546EA0E1.jpeg

I started with a bonsai structure, but I recently removed it and placed everything on tiles. When my wife and I move into our first house within the next two years, I don’t want to break my corals off of a rock structure to move them. Also, this will give me a better idea of how they will grow and the colors that they will show, making it easier to place them in the tank that I’ll purchase for our home.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New guys go on frag rack about a week than onto the reef rocks. Always easy to remove glue and all pops right off

Back