I have a few Algae Scrubbing questions please..

Robert (Bearclawws)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave algae on the scrubber screen for longer periods of time than you probably should and it builds up, does the algae eventually leach any of the nutrients it consumed back into the water? I would doubt it because it uses those nutrients it consumes to grow in the first place, correct?

I do regular water changes and I know trace elements are replaced during water changes, but for stable and mature systems with larger quantities of water volume it can be expensive to do water changes when you may only need to replace a few specific elements to address a specific concern.

What elements specifically removed by Algae Scrubbing need to be replaced? Thank you.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave algae on the scrubber screen for longer periods of time than you probably should and it builds up, does the algae eventually leach any of the nutrients it consumed back into the water? I would doubt it because it uses those nutrients it consumes to grow in the first place, correct?
Yes it does because algae deep in the mat dies. You say - but that would feed the exterior part of the mat! Yes and everything else in the water column including the stuff you are competing against.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I do regular water changes and I know trace elements are replaced during water changes, but for stable and mature systems with larger quantities of water volume it can be expensive to do water changes when you may only need to replace a few specific elements to address a specific concern.

What elements specifically removed by Algae Scrubbing need to be replaced? Thank you.
Yes- you want to pull it as it builds up establishing a base for new algae.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chaeto Gro might meet your needs for trace element replacement. Their recommended daily dose might be high. I dose the daily dose once per week for Ulva.

Back