I have a guess.

scottberto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J have a guess but I am not positive. Let me know what you think so I can confirm my suspicion. Phosphates a tad higher than normal, nitrates normal.
20231017_224206.jpg

20231017_224257.jpg 20231017_224247.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized a long time ago there wasn't a corellation between nuisance algae and phosphates so I would look elsewhere for the cause of your algae issues. The combination of manual removal and urchins and other algae eaters has worked well for me for decades. (It also works for researchers rehabilitaing reefs.) This video using straws may help.

FWIW .03 mg/l is the threshold level to prevent phosphorus limitation in corals, identified by researchers at Southampton University in England using corals maintained in an aquarium for about a decade. .3 mg/l is what corals are subjected to with upwelling in the ocean. .5 mg/l is acceptable as acros have been shown to incease growth up to this level. .9mg/l is the level teh Steinhart Aqaurium's ex situ sexually reproduced acro colonies are being grwon out with.

And you might peruse Thales' build thread, his video of acro larva settling and starting a skeleton is awesome!

OP
OP
scottberto

scottberto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized a long time ago there wasn't a corellation between nuisance algae and phosphates so I would look elsewhere for the cause of your algae issues. The combination of manual removal and urchins and other algae eaters has worked well for me for decades. (It also works for researchers rehabilitaing reefs.) This video using straws may help.

FWIW .03 mg/l is the threshold level to prevent phosphorus limitation in corals, identified by researchers at Southampton University in England using corals maintained in an aquarium for about a decade. .3 mg/l is what corals are subjected to with upwelling in the ocean. .5 mg/l is acceptable as acros have been shown to incease growth up to this level. .9mg/l is the level teh Steinhart Aqaurium's ex situ sexually reproduced acro colonies are being grwon out with.

And you might peruse Thales' build thread, his video of acro larva settling and starting a skeleton is awesome!
I greatly appreciate the input. Thank you so much!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back