I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT MY LIVEROCK.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so my smaller tank is having a HUGE PROBLEM with VERMATID SNAILS. They have completely covered every rock in my aquarium and I'm wondering "if it's allowed" lol to take those rocks out and buy new liverock at my LFS and replace it? I've tried everything to stop them from spreading, cutting them with coral snips, gluing them closed and even feeding the tank MUCH LESS to try and stave them! Please let me know what you guys would recommend. Right now there's only soft corals in that tank like xenia, Gsp zoas and an anenome. Will changing the rocks cause some sort of spike or swing? Will it disrupt the balance of my tank?

20210522_173620.jpg 20210522_173634.jpg 20210522_173658.jpg 20210522_173714.jpg

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it’s allowed. Just be mindful that such a change will cause a lot of potential issues for a plethora of reasons. For one it could cause an imbalance due to a massive chance in microfauna. Also it might cause a bunch of inert detritus to be released again.

you could probably do it. But take it slow. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. Also, I believe bumblebee snails prey on vermitids. Maybe try some of those first?

also how big is your tank? And how old. I believe some wrasses would eat them if your tank is big enough to reasonably house them.

mind you, all I’ve said is based upon research I’ve done. Please don’t take it as anything other than food for thought.

im going to try and get some more experienced people in here to weigh in.

@ReefSquad

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard people say bumble bee snails eat them but I've heard people say it's not true...not sure lol

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard people say bumble bee snails eat them but I've heard people say it's not true...not sure lol

yeah that’s what makes researching hard. The majority of info out there is anecdotal at best. Still, weighing trends of positive vs negative reports can shed some light

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried everything you did except bumble bee snails. I've heard mixed reviews on those bumble bee snails. Would of tried them sooner if I knew back then though. Ended up losing a good tank to them. It was a 1 year long battle. Like a every other day maintenance. If I were in your shoes I would probably start qt frag everything all clean and put them in qt. Then just super clean the existing setup all new. Those things are evil. A female snail can have several hundreds of babies in their tube at random. If you break one the wrong way you just spread them more. That's just my two cents. I wouldn't just change the rocks that could just make things worst. Especially if their all over everything

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so my smaller tank is having a HUGE PROBLEM with VERMATID SNAILS. They have completely covered every rock in my aquarium and I'm wondering "if it's allowed" lol to take those rocks out and buy new liverock at my LFS and replace it? I've tried everything to stop them from spreading, cutting them with coral snips, gluing them closed and even feeding the tank MUCH LESS to try and stave them! Please let me know what you guys would recommend. Right now there's only soft corals in that tank like xenia, Gsp zoas and an anenome. Will changing the rocks cause some sort of spike or swing? Will it disrupt the balance of my tank?

20210522_173620.jpg 20210522_173634.jpg 20210522_173658.jpg 20210522_173714.jpg
Bumblebee snails will help

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumble bee snails eat my vermitids. They were out of control in my tank - even had some that had gotten half an inch in diameter. Now you rarely see one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back