I have almost completely eradicated dinoflagellates overnight.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going with the dino's?
Well they're mostly gone except for patches of bubble on rock and a few coral. No more long stringies. Nutrients are elevated and have caused bubble algae breakout. Not too big of a deal as of yet. Will be letting go until I start to see coral suffocation, then dose fluconazole...or maybe vibrant.

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the other dino thread, but wanted to get this info out to more people.

My Dino's came back after I started doing water changes again (20% weekly). This was about a month ago.

I took a relatively hands off approach by just dosing some phosphates to keep them around 0.1ppm and continuing to feed heavy to maintain my 5ppm nitrates. The Dino's got worse and worse over the month to the point of starting to **** off my limited zoas/palys as well as reduce polyp extension in SPS.

My type of Dino's seems to go into the water column at night for the most part, so I decided to try something that I haven't tried in the 1+ years that I've been dealing with this garbage in 3 tanks now... a UV sterilizer. I bought a 55 watt jebao pond sterilizer on amazon for $70ish dollars. It arrived yesterday and I hooked it up in the afternoon. I plumbed it directly to the display with a 300 gph quietone pump set to its lowest setting. I have not measured the exact output but it's quite slow. I'm running the UV 24/7 for now.

95% of the Dino's were gone this morning. Nothing but the white death webs were left.

During my lights on today there was NO noticeable growth in the few tiny areas of Dino's that I can barely find. So far this has been a HUGE success for me and this was the only change I have made... other than blasting the tank with a turkey baster a few hours after lights out to get as much in the water column as possible. Seems like a heck of a coincidence if it wasn't the UV.

My sunny Ds are open for the first time in over a week and I have noticeably more polyp extension in my SPS.

I will continue to update this thread with my findings, but if you have Dino's that seem to dissipate during lights out I HIGHLY recommend giving this a try.
I am having dino problems too. Thinking about a UV light...what size is your tank? I have a 75G plus 30G sump and I am trying to figure out the best size and type of UV. Thanks!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having dino problems too. Thinking about a UV light...what size is your tank? I have a 75G plus 30G sump and I am trying to figure out the best size and type of UV. Thanks!
I would go 55 Watts. Just keep an eye on temperature. Should be perfect for your tank.

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they're mostly gone except for patches of bubble on rock and a few coral. No more long stringies. Nutrients are elevated and have caused bubble algae breakout. Not too big of a deal as of yet. Will be letting go until I start to see coral suffocation, then dose fluconazole...or maybe vibrant.

I fought Bubble previously getting Dino’s. Weekly Vibrant with an Emerald crab along with manual removal knocked it out. Vibrant loosens it up so manual removal is easier. I have a nano so one crab helped. But it probably wasn’t necessary if you don’t want them in your tank.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fought Bubble previously getting Dino’s. Weekly Vibrant with an Emerald crab along with manual removal knocked it out. Vibrant loosens it up so manual removal is easier. I have a nano so one crab helped. But it probably wasn’t necessary if you don’t want them in your tank.
That's good to hear, it seems beatable....easier than Dino's even. Thanks for the insight!

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned on my scrubber again after my nutrients went back up. I shut it down when I hit 0s because it was growing Dinos. Hopefully I’ll get some hair algae. I have a few patches growing in the DT which makes me happy. I’d rather have hair algae because it’s just food for the fish [emoji28]

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I know this thread has been dead for a couple months but I took the plunge and got the 55w jebao monster going on my reefer 450 with lowww flow. I had a Dino outbreak after Brightwell changed the neophos concentration without me knowing and I had 0 p04 for a few weeks before I checked the back of the bottle but at that point it was too late dinos had arrived...I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I know this thread has been dead for a couple months but I took the plunge and got the 55w jebao monster going on my reefer 450 with lowww flow. I had a Dino outbreak after Brightwell changed the neophos concentration without me knowing and I had 0 p04 for a few weeks before I checked the back of the bottle but at that point it was too late dinos had arrived...I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

I’ve used it every time they pop up and they are gone within a few days. Unfortunately the quartz sleeve started to leak which allowed water inside it on th me bulb, so I’m deciding if I want to get another jebao or buy a quality one.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it every time they pop up and they are gone within a few days. Unfortunately the quartz sleeve started to leak which allowed water inside it on th me bulb, so I’m deciding if I want to get another jebao or buy a quality one.
dang that sucks, I almost went the top shelf aqua uv 57w but that bad boy is $455 lol the jebao $70 seemed like an economical choice but your right I’ll end up buying the aqua uv eventually

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang that sucks, I almost went the top shelf aqua uv 57w but that bad boy is $455 lol the jebao $70 seemed like an economical choice but your right I’ll end up buying the aqua uv eventually
Glad I use a gfi! To think i used to run this thing on a tank without a gfi :-o

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So of course I leave the cover off a little bit exposing about 2 inches of the tank water because I’m blasting the uv in the DT for the first week and one of my clowns jumped. I’m so ticked off, one night and 2 inches of opportunity and he jumps, and yet I have a nuvo 10 with no cover and a clown that’s been in it for 5 years and never jumped I don’t get it.

67D86019-D05C-4A9F-AE10-94082C223084.jpeg

B0CF5287-2AF3-4B48-BB84-8702C8928C1A.jpeg

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 24 hours later this monster is doing wonders! I hooked it up directly into my DT like @Velcro did and I’m shocked 24 hours later I have white webs of Dino death! I’m so excited! No other chemical additives, no blackout, nothing changes but deploying this bad boy. I will continue to blow off rocks etc and will relocate this bad boy to my sump once the dinos look clear in my dt. Can’t thank you guys enough for this thread! My poor zoas are open for the first time in weeks.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So of course I leave the cover off a little bit exposing about 2 inches of the tank water because I’m blasting the uv in the DT for the first week and one of my clowns jumped. I’m so ticked off, one night and 2 inches of opportunity and he jumps, and yet I have a nuvo 10 with no cover and a clown that’s been in it for 5 years and never jumped I don’t get it.

67D86019-D05C-4A9F-AE10-94082C223084.jpeg

B0CF5287-2AF3-4B48-BB84-8702C8928C1A.jpeg
Very sorry.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 24 hours later this monster is doing wonders! I hooked it up directly into my DT like @Velcro did and I’m shocked 24 hours later I have white webs of Dino death! I’m so excited! No other chemical additives, no blackout, nothing changes but deploying this bad boy. I will continue to blow off rocks etc and will relocate this bad boy to my sump once the dinos look clear in my dt. Can’t thank you guys enough for this thread! My poor zoas are open for the first time in weeks.
yep, the white webs are a great sign. RIP dino scum.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 hours later and I’m pretty sure they are 100% erradicated I’m shocked. I’m gonna move the uv to my sump tomorrow and continue to run it for a couple weeks just to be safe. Thanks @Velcro for saving my reef!

XxJDMcivicEK9xX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super interesting thread. I am also dealing with Dino's at the moment and have read countless threads now on what people are doing. sounds like N/P dosing, UV and Macro Algae in different combos are what people are doing to get results. Looking at buying a UV Sterilizer to start this journey...

Only question i have is are you guys placing the pump on the sand or leaving it higher in the water column?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back