I have almost completely eradicated dinoflagellates overnight.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I installed a Coralife Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer 9w in my 40gl breeder this weekend. My dino's are on my sandbed. I have 2 questions:

1. is this enough for a 40g tank?
2. Since I don't seem to have Dino in the water column, and all algae are clumped on the sand bed, should I blow off my sand with a turkey baster?

I am not seeing any difference since adding the UV.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank should be hand cleaned, including the sandbed if possible, cleaned, and then the UV is focused on growback. I wont take them off the sand well by itself

if the unit was properly oversized, they wont grow back in the ideal setup

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night we implemented a few new methods for eliminating these dinoflagellates. UV sterilization and diatom filtering.

I hacked the UV system together in an effort to quickly get it up and running. If I see results from it, I'll need to come up with a plan to pull water from the display and run it through the UV unit and return it back to the display without looking like a toddler put it together.

It's a simple setup, 520 gph pump resting on the sandbed running through 3/4" tubing with a ball valve and returning directly to the display. Thoughts on cleaning this up?

120REEF-09292017 - 2.jpg

This is the Marineland Magnum filter. I put the micron cartridge in it and charged it with 6 tablespoons of diatomaceous earth while running it in RO/DI water in a 5 gallon bucket. I'm not super impressed with this piece of equipment, yet. It was blowing lots of microbubbles and making lots of noise this AM. I'll pull it out tonight and double check everything and see if I can get it running quieter and get the air out of the system.

120REEF-09292017 - 1.jpg

Caleb740

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night we implemented a few new methods for eliminating these dinoflagellates. UV sterilization and diatom filtering.

I hacked the UV system together in an effort to quickly get it up and running. If I see results from it, I'll need to come up with a plan to

How are your multiple methods working out for you?

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your multiple methods working out for you?

Fantastic, to say the least. The tank looks like it hasn't in a long, long time.

The UV filter literally changed my tank over night. It's still on top of the tank hacked together but the results have been amazing. My dino problem is almost completely gone. The nitrate/phosphate consumption has dropped SIGNIFICANTLY and the dinos barely show up on the sand bed in just a few places. I don't even have to blow the rocks off or agitate the sand-bed anymore, it just doesn't show up! My coral have gotten loads of color back, the stn on the birdsnest has stopped, polyp extension on SPS like I haven't ever seen in my tank before. Softies and LPS looking happy and healthy, too. It's safe to say the UV has made a HUGE difference. I'll be moving it to the sump soon to help maintain pristine water quality once I'm certain the dinos aren't going to rear their head again. Unfortunately, I haven't been using the diatom filter because it creates a lot of microbubbles and I haven't diagnosed the issue, although the need for it seems less, now.

Thanks for checking in. I just made this gif of the last year or so with my tank. Not the best photos, but neat to see it's progression.

opZH9yV.gif

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on a UV size/brand for 30-40 gallons of total tank volume?

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I went with the Big Ol 55W. I was told to oversize for dinoflagellate eradication, I posted back in this thread earlier but measure where you want to mount this thing because it is huge.

It did work for me though so having to work around finding a space to mount this behemoth was worth it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had cyano problems until they were just cheated out of existence. it even removed gha (due to my pre removal/growback prevention focus) and from then on = best cheat ive ever seen. People mention about them heating the water, mine never did I don't recall any degree of temp issues whatsoever from such a gross rating, perhaps it applies elsewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Big Ol 55W. I was told to oversize for dinoflagellate eradication, I posted back in this thread earlier but measure where you want to mount this thing because it is huge.

It did work for me though so having to work around finding a space to mount this behemoth was worth it.

Yes I think oversizing and low flow is the key. I did remove my UV about a month ago before leaving town for a week. I just don’t trust jebao haha. It just so happens that I removed it in the middle of an extremely minor Dino infestation (maybe 5 small strands) due to my phosphate falling to 0 (0 ppb phosphorous on Hanna checker) while carbon dosing. I kept carbon dosing and started dosing phosphate to hold 0.05-0.1 ppm phosphate and they went away even without UV. I think UV absolutely plays a huge role in wiping out blooms of waterborne Dino’s but phosphate and nitrate may play just as important of a role.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think oversizing and low flow is the key. I did remove my UV about a month ago before leaving town for a week. I just don’t trust jebao haha. It just so happens that I removed it in the middle of an extremely minor Dino infestation (maybe 5 small strands) due to my phosphate falling to 0 (0 ppb phosphorous on Hanna checker) while carbon dosing. I kept carbon dosing and started dosing phosphate to hold 0.05-0.1 ppm phosphate and they went away even without UV. I think UV absolutely plays a huge role in wiping out blooms of waterborne Dino’s but phosphate and nitrate may play just as important of a role.
Yeah I think hitting it from multiple directions like you're doing is key but UV is the likely uppercut for your strain. I thought I was getting a recurrence of dinos but checked under the scope last night and it appears to be a weird form of diatoms most likely.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 watt UV per 2 gallons has worked for many as a target number 1 watt per 3-5 gallons has been hit and miss.
Would love to see more reports on this rule of thumb.

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m letting them grow all over the glass while I’m figureing this out. One thing I have nboticed is that when they are covering the glass they tend to leave the coral alone. Hopefully they just consume all of something they need and DIAF at once.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked up the 55w jebao to my 75g. Dino's identified as coolia/ostreopsis combo. Nitrates and phosphates are both elevated to 0.1, and 5ppm respectively. I'll continue updating!

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked up the 55w jebao to my 75g. Dino's identified as coolia/ostreopsis combo. Nitrates and phosphates are both elevated to 0.1, and 5ppm respectively. I'll continue updating!
How is it going with the dino's?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back