I have almost completely eradicated dinoflagellates overnight.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. He will destroy zoas and some LPS so just don't keep any. It helps that I am an SPS nut.

He sadly passed away 2 months ago, got marine velvet from a frag of all sources and it killed 2/3 of my fish stock. [emoji53]
Sorry to hear that. They are beautiful animals with a lot of personality.

rchraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have battling dinos for a while and was thinking about trying this. My setup is approximately 65 gallons, would a 55 watt UV be sufficient or will it be over kill?

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done pretty much the same thing and it worked well. I ran my 55watt Jebao UV clarifier directly in the tank for three nights straight. I followed it up by adding a huge amount of copepods which I breed in a seperate tank. and a cup of live phytoplankton to help battle whatever remaining dinos where in the tank. It's been three weeks now and there is no sign of them. All my parameters have returned to normal and my snails are alive.

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pumps are you guys running on the Jaebo 55w?
I only have a 30g tank.
My Dino's are pretty bad, I did ID them with a microscope. I have been dosing KNO3 and am going to dose up my phosphate also just waiting on my phosphate checker to get here.
c2afbc69a599ad09b1d1044c0cdbd9a2.jpg

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have battling dinos for a while and was thinking about trying this. My setup is approximately 65 gallons, would a 55 watt UV be sufficient or will it be over kill?
It's not really possible to oversize a UV unless heat becomes an issue.
Do you continue to run your UV? If so do you have to keep adding the live phyto and copepods?
I know you weren't asking me, but I am still running my UV. It's been about a month I think.
What pumps are you guys running on the Jaebo 55w?
I only have a 30g tank.
My Dino's are pretty bad, I did ID them with a microscope. I have been dosing KNO3 and am going to dose up my phosphate also just waiting on my phosphate checker to get here.
c2afbc69a599ad09b1d1044c0cdbd9a2.jpg
I'm using a quietone 317gph set on the lowest flow setting. This works our to be about 180gph for me. This pump has been super cheap and reliable. I got it on amazon for like $30 which is a steal imo.

rchraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank s Velcro, Any input is welcome. I am a my end with this and I am hoping this works so what ever advice you or any one else can offer, I am more than willing to listen.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you continue to run your UV? If so do you have to keep adding the live phyto and copepods?

This time I only ran it for three nights. This is something I end up doing once every 4-5 months or so. I really want to make sure I dont strip my tank of good stuff while killing the bad stuff.

Here is my setup I keep stored. 55w Jebao with a Jebao DCP 5000 pump.

iHAwLs4.jpg

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a quietone 317gph set on the lowest flow setting. This works our to be about 180gph for me. This pump has been super cheap and reliable. I got it on amazon for like $30 which is a steal imo.

Thanks! I just ordered the UV and the Pump. What size tubing do you run from the pump to the unit?

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I just ordered the UV and the Pump. What size tubing do you run from the pump to the unit?
That pump comes with a 1/2" barb fitting. I believe I used 1/2" ID tubing and boiled one end to get it to stretch over the 3/4" outlet on the reactor.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is everyone running the uv in their display? i just fired mine up yesterday but left it in the sump.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in my sump. The intake is in the skimmer compartment, the output is in the main pump compartment. It worked fine like that.
that's how i'm set up as well. fingers crossed that i have some good results.

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has convinced me to get a UV sterilizer. I was going to try Dino X but I dont want to risk killing my urchin/snails/sps. The only problem is I dont have a sump to hold a sterilizer. I have a HOB refugium and a HOB Skimmer. I might be able to fit something into the HOB Aquafuge but at this point I wouldn't even mind if it was in the tank itself.

What are my options? I didn't see many you could operate without a sump. I have a 30g tank fyi.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make submersible and hang on the back ones never tried one before so don't know how good they work

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back